What Being In A Sorority Had Taught Me

What Being In A Sorority Had Taught Me

Breaking down some taboos about sororities

19
What Being In A Sorority Had Taught Me

https://pixabay.com/photos/bench-fashion-friendship-fun-girls-1853958/

For starters, I should mention that before I myself joined a sorority I believed all the stereotypes surrounding them. I thought it was all partying and no one took anything seriously in college. I also thought I was not good enough to join one, or pretty enough to be apart of one. It was way out of my comfort zone, but I thought I had nothing to lose so I rushed.

And not only did I not lose anything, but I also gained everything.

For one I gained friendships that will outlive my days at college. I have created bonds and creating connections with a sea of wonderful people. I have grown as a person and have learned to be a better person. How to be calmer towards situations and knowing that I can be the best version of myself.

Being in a sorority has taught me how to be apart of something. Yes, I have been on sports teams and clubs but my sorority is bigger than that and deeper than that. It has made me feel at home when I am crying and has lifted me up when my spirits were crushed. It has taught me to laugh deeper, smile wider, lean back on people and of course how to take bomb Instagram photos.

It has taught me to be selfless and help others in need. I have learned that life is bigger than just you and me and that giving back helps more than you would think. I have connected to the community surrounding my college and the people who live here. I have been learned to give back to where I am needed most.

I have been taught that my sisterhood will last a lifetime and it will continue to grow for years to come. To not believe all the stereotypes that the media and society feeds you. I will admit that I still have some friends that are skeptical about Greek life and still shit on it from time to time. But, what I get from that is that they just don't know what they're missing. Not saying that everyone needs to join a sorority but I recommend it greatly. I was taught to not judge a book by its cover.

Finally, I have taught to be a better person and wanting to be a better person. I was not always a ray of sunshine in high school and was anal about a lot of things, but after getting to college and joining sorority life, I have wanted to be better. I have wanted to try and give everyone a smile, I have been willing to drive that extra mile to help someone. I have decided to be the best version of myself.

Being in a sorority has taught me to be a sister, a mentor, a teacher, a friend. It has one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far and I will always encourage young women to join one if they are on the fence about it. It has given me my friends and lifetime of experiences.