West Virginia University Changed Me And Here's Why

West Virginia University is more than just four years.
281

You've probably heard it all before. Every article, video, or Instagram post that talks about college, says how their school is the best ever and you should all totally go there. I'm not saying that they aren't right because that statement is probably true for them. I'm going to tell about how this university has changed me and my life for good.

Ever since I was little, West Virginia University was my dream college. It was the team on the screen on Saturdays, and the constant merchandise flowing into the house. "A new WVU hoodie?" My dad would ask me. Morgantown was as big on my list as New York City was. When it came down to apply for college, I only wanted to go one place and that was the home of the Mountaineers.

If you have ever seen a small town on a TV screen then you already know everything about my hometown. Smithers, West Virginia is a place that everyone knows everyones business and you are related to over half of the people in it. The chances of a creative student getting out of that town and making it were slim to none, which is why I clung to the idea of college.

I waited impatiently on my acceptance letter. I checked everyday, sometimes three times a day, hoping that I would get in and be able to move away from my hometown.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was sitting at home on a Friday, waiting to go to a dinner at my church. I pulled out my laptop and decided to check my status and the words, "Congratulations Leah, You've been accepted," starred at me in bold. I jumped out of my chair and screamed. My dream had come true.

The first time I stepped foot onto WVU's campus as a student, I felt like I was in a movie. I stopped and looked at everyone and everything moving around me. I'm not going to lie, I almost broke out into song. From then on I went to experience everything that the University had to offer.

I took a wide variety of classes to expand my education horizons, such as world religions, novel reading and American Sign Language. I became a member of Omega Phi Alpha and Alpha Phi Omega that allowed me to tune into my need to give back to others in the community. I went to countless football and soccer games, cheering for my team. I worked throughout all four years. I learned how to be an adult and manage my time. I can honestly say that because of West Virginia University I am a changed person.

I watched myself grow from a shy southern belle to a fierce and driven leader. I speak up for what I believe in, I understand the needs of others and I try to speak for those who do not have the voice to do so. I found my passion for journalism and photography; I strive hard to achieve my new goals.

West Virginia University is more than just four years of school to me. It is my home. I will always remember everything it gave to me and all of the sweet memories I hold of her.

Take it from me, West Virginia University is like no other college and you really should look into going here.