10 Things That Make British Theatre 1,000% Better Than American Theatre
Theater

Once you go, you'll never want to come back.

124

For my spring break this year, I took the incredible opportunity of a week-long study abroad program with my theatre department to London to experience different kinds of theatre. This opportunity was absolutely once in a lifetime and it was so cool. We saw a show every single day we were there and they all were so diverse and interesting. With all of this, I have noticed some clear differences between the two theatrical cultures and there are so many things that make London's theatre so much better than anything I've experienced in the United States.

Here are 10 of those reasons.

1. People appreciate theatre more in the UK

When going to shows in the UK, it is clear immediately that there are more theatre people in the area. There are tons of different kinds of shows with people to fill the audience and the culture surrounding theatre there is unmatched.

2. It's cheaper (and therefore more accessible!) to see shows

While nosebleeds at a Broadway show can end up being into the hundred depending on the show, decent seats in the audience of a West End show are typically only about 50-ish pounds (at the moment only about $65). This is incredibly important because this makes theatre an art form that is accessible to so many more people than just the wealthy. We need to adopt practices like this in the United States.

3. There's a greater variety of shows to see

While we were there, we saw traditional musicals (Company), a pop concert musical about Henry VIII's six wives (SIX: The Musical), a traveling troupe of actors with their own musical (The Cabinet of Madame Fanny Du Thé ), and we saw a horror play (Berberian Sound Studio). All of these had their own unique flair to them and there were still so many more options of things to see that we didn't get the chance to while we were there.

4. They have 15-20 minute "intervals"

In the US, it's standard to have about one 10-minute intermission. In the UK, it's standard to have a 15-20 minute "interval." This is so much better because it gives you time to chat with the people you came with, wait in the line for the bathroom, grab a drink, or do whatever else you need to do during the break.

5. At those intervals, they sell ICE CREAM

I can't stress how refreshing and delightful it is to sit through an hour and a half of a show and have a nice ice cream break in the middle. It gets you pumped and ready for the next act with this refreshing treat.

6. They usually have bars and you can preorder drinks for the interval

If you're of age (18 in the UK), you can enjoy a drink with the show. In addition to this, you can preorder a drink for the interval and they'll have it ready to go for you when you get released for the interval.

7. Going to see a show would be a great date

With the extended break and addition of lots of bars and talking spaces and lower ticket prices, going to see a show in London would be an excellent date. You'd have plenty of time to talk and get to know the person while getting to see their response to the same art you're experiencing. I definitely envy those that live there for this reason.

8. You don't have to be West End to be successful

There were plenty of shows that were not West End that we saw that were absolutely incredible. "The Cabinet of Madame Fanny Du Thé" (Riddlestick Theatre) and "Inside Bitch" were two incredibly entertaining and powerful shows that we saw that were nowhere near West End. They were unique and still incredible.

9. The government supports and gives funding to the arts

There's actually an arts budget in the UK. There likely is a small one in the US as well, but the government funds a good amount of theatre and the arts and it shows. The productions were incredible and that was definitely in part thanks to the funding from the Arts Council England.

10. It's the birthplace of Shakespeare

I'm not a huge Shakespeare person myself, but England is where the magic happened. The Globe Theatre (the rebuilt one, of course) is still running shows today and is open for tours. It's kind of exciting to be in the place where it all began.