Welcome To The 80s

Welcome To The 80s

Let's go back to the era of rock.

241
Welcome To The 80s
Ready Player One: Anorak's Almanac

The eighties, a time where you wake up before you go-go, want to be free while you find somebody to love and feel like a virgin moonwalking to Billie Jean for 500 miles. Welcome to the 80s! The popular music events of the 1980s reflected the diversity of a music that had been around for 40 years and had touched generations of people. Rock music was old enough to have a heritage, a sense of tradition and a historical background. Unlike the 1960s, the 80s are known as a decade without a military war. However, it was a decade of other wars. The battle against AIDS, the most dreaded disease of the time, began. Popular music played an important part for social causes in this era. Live Aid concerts helped provide a relief for famine and war stricken countries. The eighties were a decade of dramatic revolution in style and technology that agreed with a respect for the history and legacy of rock styles and their artists.

With the 1980s came a new, more open mentality. A new form of music called "rap" was born. In this form, words are spoken, not sung, over a heavy beat. Many Americans believed that this kind of music was too shocking, too violent, and too “damaging” to the human spirit. However, the rock and roll lifestyle was popularly associated with sex and drugs. Many idols of rock and roll such as: Stevie Nicks, Ozzy Osbourne, Steven Tyler, Elton John, and Whitney Houston were known as hard-drinking, hard-living characters. These stars suffered acknowledged battling addictions to many substances including alcohol, cocaine and heroin. Many of these have successfully undergone rehabilitation, but others like Hillel Slovak and Whitney Houston unfortunately haven’t been as lucky. Slovak, who was the original guitarist from Red Hot Chili Peppers, died from a drug overdose in 1988.

As many of these stars’ lifestyles became more public, the promotion of recreational drug use by musicians influenced the use of drugs among the teenage society. Teenagers start to rebel and parents blamed it on rock music and the influence these hardcore lyrics caused on young adults. The 1980s were a decade of numerous conflict for rock ‘n’ roll and the audience that grew up with it. The challenging music that fought against authority during years of social disorder became part of the establishment. Anthems in favor of the anti-war movement were sung and civil rights struggle were taken over by corporate America, who used them to promote and sell products to maturing baby boomers.

It is no doubt that sexuality and gender became hot topics during the 80s. The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Network (GLBN) was formed that year in 1987; the Lesbian, Bisexual, questioning (LBQ) and the Stonewall Men's Group were formed in 1988. Even though people were extremely open to sex and drugs in the 1980s, many of them became increasingly aware about their own activities due to the fact that, with the birth of AIDS, sex and drugs became deadly. During this time AIDS started to kill people on a great scale. The disease spread in several ways. One was through sexual relations. Another was through sharing the needles used to take illegal drugs. The AIDS epidemic got so bad that people were even scared to kiss each other on the cheeks. However, Aids definitely ended the sexual revolution started in the sixties. During this time, it was the first time the media started to acknowledge the fact that people had sex lives. Before AIDS became a widespread phenomenon, it wasn't discussed on TV very much, almost never in the news. As time passed and the epidemic grew, it indirectly proved a partial blessing in disguise for gay rights as stricken people like Rock Hudson were shoved out of the closet, forcing the public to realize that LGBTI people were all around them, much like themselves. Songs that expressed a person’s sexuality were considered by society an inspiration since they had the comfort of knowing that someone who is gay, lesbian, transgender etc. is serving as a symbol of support for their community. For example, Boy George was one of the most popular musicians among the LGBT community since his music and style strongly appealed to their senses. One of the first cases of AIDS was Freddy Mercury’s death. This 80s icon reached fame with the band Queen. Mercury left a legacy of songs, which will never lose their stature as classics to live on forever.

Gender equality began to blossom during the 1980s since many female artists such as Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar and Janet Jackson made a big impact on society. Madonna revolutionized the music industry and society by stating that she was ready to “rule the world.” She combined adolescent innocence with seething sexuality, earthy glamour with religious symbolism. Her juxtapositions like crucifixes hanging from her ears and provocative clothes outraged and confused some audiences, particularly old observers. Throughout her music, she conveyed the message of “sex as power” and using the power of sexuality as an aspect of women’s liberation and empowerment.

The 1980s was definitely the generation of rebellion against the “normal.” There is no era that compares to the greatness of the 80s. It’s rich culture and change is still alive in today’s society since its influence still dominates the culture today. There is no doubt that the 1980s created a rich legacy in history. Bands, songs, movies, sexuality movements and changes opened many doors for the generations that followed the 80s, but there will never be anything as unforgettable as the era of abnormal inspiring difference.

... Honestly can I go back in time and live in the 80s? Please and thank you.