A Week Post-Valentine’s Day

A Week Post-Valentine’s Day

A post-Valentine’s Day note to all those ‘single’ guys and gals out there
43

Valentine’s Day; some call it the most pointless holiday to ever exist, some call it a marketing gimmick to promote sales, some even call it a hoax, but there are some that call it…well, a day of love.

HOW???? I used to ask my self that too.

What does it really matter that you were single for this Valentine’s Day? Or, better yet, what does it really that you’ve been single for every Valentine’s day that you’ve lived through? Society thrives on the fact that Valentine’s Day is about love, but only about loving your significant other. Make sure you buy the roses, the chocolate, the champagne!!!! Why do WE think that Valentine’s Day is only about loving the person you sleep next to? What about our parents, friends, family, siblings, colleagues, and so on?

Regardless of my relationship status, I have never been the biggest fan of Valentine’s Day. There has just always been something about Cupid striking someone with his ‘magic love arrow’ that never sat well with me. Unrealistic in my personal opinion. But, turns out February 14th had the potential to be different than what I always knew it to be. And, probably different too for all of you other quote-on-quote single folks out there.

I checked Instagram, as I do every few hours regardless of the day of the week or the month of the year, I’m always checking Instagram, but today was Valentine’s Day and I was prepared to see EVERY COUPLE I know post pictures of themselves and their significant others. After scrolling and scrolling and scrolling through photos of couples kissing in the pool, kissing on top of a mountain, and even kissing through the phone (don’t ask) I FINALLY came across something that was worth reading, worth my while. It was by a New York City photographer and blogger, Drew Jessup. I’m a huge fan of this guy’s work and style, he deserves to be on the cover of GQ some day, seriously. He’s a legend.

The photo posted to Drew’s Instagram was of his best friend and new fiancé (Drew took the photo of them) and the caption read:

“A big happy day to all my lovers out there. Even single I love Valentines day. I don’t think there’s anything more important than finding your person/your partner/your best friend. If you’ve found someone worth celebrating today my hats off to you two and make me excited to celebrate the holiday rightfully with a Valentine of my own someday. I’m constantly spoiled with couples in my life who share such magnetic love to constantly remind me what it means. These two above, who are two people I love dearly, are great examples of that and I had the honor of shooting their engagement photos on Sunday. Love love and keep fighting for it – it is always worth it. Happy V day <3”

So, 5:01 PM on Valentine’s Day I rushed to the card store and purchased a card for my parents (slim pickings as you could imagine) but it served its purpose and sent the message I wanted to send. I love my parents and they are both credited for the man I am today. Then, I decided a card wasn’t enough (I was feeling super ambitious and grateful at the time) and I went to the liquor store. I bought my mom her favorite bottle of vino and my dad a new bourbon to add to his collection, I was content, and both of my parents were super appreciative and thankful, not for the cards or booze, but for me. That was a nice feeling. I also texted all my close friends a nice message that evening as well, they deserved to know I care about them, and that my world would be completely different without them.

My point isn’t to buy your parents booze and text your pals, my point is exactly what Drew wrote; love love and when its found, embrace it. But, until then don’t hate on your friends or relatives that are happily in love, don’t envy anyone who has a significant other. For the time-being just be content with what you have, that’s why I did what I did for my parents and my friends. It may not have been much, but they’re all apart of my life and I happen to love them as well.

Don’t worry about being single for V Day, our time will come.