WebMD Can Kill You

WebMD Can Kill You

Self-diagnosis is false diagnosis.

53
WebMD Can Kill You
PTSD alliance

When I was younger, WebMD convinced me that I had bipolar disorder because I was mad and sad within a short period of time. It turns out that I was just emotional.

After all my years of stomach issues, WebMD convinced me that I had health problems ranging from cancer to gastroesophageal reflux disease. It turns out that the pain just came from stress.

This summer, WebMD convinced me that I had become diseased with Henoch-Schonlein Purpura because my stomach was covered in small red bumps. It turns out that it was just a heat rash.

We are often taught to think of the worst case scenario to any situation. The worst case scenario, however, pertains to life, death, and mental (in)stability. Psychologically, WebMD can cause a human to believe they are dying with symptoms that can be equally compared to the common cold. Likewise, WedMD can convince a person that they are mentally ill when they are actually just having a tough day or strenuous week.

WebMD is causing larger problems worldwide than recognized. We live in a world where people are constantly self-diagnosing themselves with diseases, mental illnesses, and physical injuries before taking the time to visit a doctor in the first place.

Mental illnesses are taken far too lightly when it comes to self-diagnosis. It is important to remember that Obsessive-compulsive disorder is more than just the need to be organized. Depression is more than feeling sad over a breakup. An anxiety disorder is more than getting overly stressed about a big test. Bipolar disorder is more than being happy one second and then lashing out at a friend.

Mental disorders are behavioral, not emotional. People neglect to recognize that mental disorders affect people their entire life.

An anxiety attack feels as if you are suffocating—like your heart is beating out of your chest. It’s terrifying.

Depression feels as if you are stuck in a fog that refuses to rise. It is constant questioning of your self-worth. Vision of a future fails to be seen.

Bipolar disorder contains intense mood swings between periods of mania and periods of depression. Periods of mania consists of extreme paranoia, delusions, high energy, and insomnia. Periods of depression consists of the feeling of isolation and lethargy.

OCD consists of obsessive thoughts, feelings, and ideas, which correspond to behaviors that cause a feeling of compulsion.

Each of these disorders are very real and very unwanted. They require diagnosis from psychiatrists, doctors visits, and medication for an entire lifetime. As easy as it may be to self-diagnose via online resources, it takes away from the validity of such life-altering disorders.

My biggest pet peeve is false diagnosis. It takes away from the seriousness of mental health in today's world. Above all, it undermines those that do have psychologically diagnosed disorders.

Having a disorder or disease is not cute. It should not be bragged about, and it should not demand attention. WebMD can make you think you're dying and it can give you fictitious ideas about your health, but overall, it makes humanity believe they are ill when they are, in fact, blessed with good health.