Dating Endangered: Loving Through Emojis Instead Of Emotions

Listen up guys: flowers are nice and they aren't that expensive.
5

What happened to the type of romance that you see in the movies?

Everyone always tells you that love isn't how you see it in the movies. Nowadays, affection seems to be measured on how many likes a guy gives you on your latest Instagram picture and the strength of your love is determined by how long your streak is on snapchat. I have been on a totally of two actual dates in my life. I have hung out with boys a lot more than two times, but these "hang outs" have only been defined as a date twice. What happened to a guy coming up to you, all nervous and excited, and asking if you'd like to go on a date? And I mean he actually says something along the lines of "Would you wanna go on a date with me?" instead of "We should hang". Netflix and chill didn't exist ten years ago and now it literally is the only thing that people do. Don't get me wrong there is nothing terrible about cuddling up and watching Netflix with a cute boy, but at some point I'd start wondering if this cute boy was ever going to take me out in public. I can't be that embarrassing to go out with.

A guy brought me flowers once and honestly when he surprised me a little part of me died a little, and big stupid smile was plastered on my face for a good hour. When I brought them in to give to my mom before I left for my actual date, she thought he was just the cutest thing in the entire world. She also thought that maybe he was going to pop the question because gestures like this are so RARE these days. She thought this had to be a pretty serious date since he brought me flowers and explicitly told me not to come back with a ring on my finger. Obviously, this gesture was just as shocking to my mother as it was to me.

Listen up guys, flowers are nice and they aren't that expensive.

Even if they are the cheapest flowers in the entire world, I guarantee you they will make a girl smile. No, giving a girl flowers doesn't mean you are a softy it just means you are capable of showing actual human emotions and not emojis.

These small gestures make defining two people's relationship a lot easier because then you can determine whether someone actually likes you or just wants to get in your pants. I find that it's actually extremely hard to tell the difference these days because people aren't taking the time to show actual affection for one another. Everything becomes a sea of texts and snapchats and soon you and your best friend are swimming in questions and analyzing every single detail of your online interaction, hoping that maybe you can finally decipher what the three extra "y's" in his "heyyyy" mean.

A wise young woman, Olive Penderghast, once said "Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life" (Easy A). If you knew this quote before I cited the movie then you I give you a giant round of applause. Olive's got a point and it just makes me really sad that I have to watch a bunch of rom-com's to fulfill my desire for a little chivalry in my life.