I Chose My Family and So Can You
Life Stages

We Can Choose Our Families

Make your circle be surrounded with the people you love and care about, no matter how they got there.

127
We Can Choose Our Families

Mom. Dad. Brother. Sister. Grandma. Grandpa.

The first thing anyone would think of when hearing these words is family. All of these people encompass the definition of family along with many other titles that you learn as a child. One day, instead of my name being Ravyn, I could hear a slew of words that will make my heart patter and soul grow. These monumental days in my life will mean a new family member will have arrived into my circle of trust and protection I will be greeting them with open arms and a heavy heart. They will become another piece of my backbone and support and I hope to make the same positive impact on their life so they realize that this life we live is too short to fill it with neglect and bitterness. That being said, there are many other ways new people can become your family and it doesn't always have to be because there was a new birth in the continuing line of blood relations.

Marriage

"In sickness and in health. Till death do us part. I do". Growing up, I have always dreamed of saying these words in a white dress, surrounded by the people I love. When I was younger, I never understood the extent of what marriage was. It is more than marrying that one person. You are marrying their life, their family, and their struggles. It opens a new world to your path of life and can grow someone's family tree way more than expected. Coming from a very sporadic family, it is important for my future husband to have a close family. I hope to build a family of my own and when you marry someone, they are engraved in your life forever. Whether you have children with them or not, they are a part of your past, present, and future. You welcome them into your family and visa versa. When you marry someone, you will be gaining a spouse but you also gain another set of parents, possibly siblings, and more extended family. You will now be spending holidays and monumental events with people that you hope the best for. When you look back at the memories of your life, your spouse's family will be included in them. Embrace the new family that you have be invited into your life and accept them as your own. Drastic things can happen in everyones life and it is better to have too much support than not enough.

​Friendship

Friends can shape your life and give you closure more than some family members could. When it comes to friends, you choose who is in your life and you find the ones that will last a lifetime. Some friends can become closer than family members and that may be because your connection started from the beginning and built itself up. When you build that level of trust someone with someone, you are able to understand characteristics and intentions beneath the surface. Just like a relationship, you will either feel comfortable opening up to these people or know that something doesn't feel right. "Blood" does not always make you feel connected to a person because sometimes you don't even know who your relatives are. With family members, there could sometimes be forced relationships or incompatibility. It makes it harder to support and trust someone when their is no connection to be made as a foundation. I have a few friends that I would consider more of my family than some of my blood members. There are also family members in my life who were presented to me through marriage and other ways, and I would never treat them any less than my own family. Family is such a broad term, but also doesn't hold much value when thinking in terms of blood.

You should protect and care for the people that would do the same for you. Others naturally gravitate towards people that have the same personality or views on life as them, because they will easily be able to confine in them. There are many times where thoughts are racing through your brain and you need to get them out into the open. To have another mind hear your perspective and opinion. When you voice your thoughts, you can become vulnerable and who you trust your inner self, is so important. Family is loyalty. The people who make you feel secure and happy. The ones that will stick by your side no matter what. So whoever you consider your family, don't let them go. You trusted them for a reason and have engraved a piece of your heart with their names. Hold such an amazing feeling close to you and remember that happiness keeps us alive. It gives us hope and freedom. Our families keep us going.