We Are In This Together, Said My Best Friend

Thank you for helping me look past the distorted view.

31
Savannah Schipman

Monday morning. 2:25AM. Five hours until I have to be up for class, but here I am sitting in the study room on my floor smiling because I really was blessed with the best.

For those of you that do not personally know me, I am Sav. It wasn’t long ago that I got diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, and since then I have viewed my life and college career through a cracked lens. A lot of things don’t make sense to me right now because everything is difficult to see, which leaves me extremely frustrated.

The cracked lens, no matter where I look, contorts my view. When looking at my college career through the cracked lens, I immediately get down on myself because it is beyond unclear. Being away at school with anxiety and depression is impenetrable when you haven’t started treatment. The inability to concentrate, lack of stamina, difficulty handling time pressures and tasks, and trouble communicating all interfere with my ability to function in school.

Looking at home through my cracked lens is familiar, though. Because it’s what I know, it is perspicuous. Much easier to see. Simple.

I told myself, as well as my friends, that I need to figure my mental illness out and start medication for the sake of doing well in school. So, I decided it is best to go home for the semester. I couldn’t wait to have the cracked lens fixed now, but I just didn’t see that happening. So, I decided to put it on delay. I’ll come back in the fall.

Well, that was the plan. Until my best friend looked me in the eyes and said, “No, I refuse to let you take the easy way out. I am and always will be your best friend, and there isn’t anything you have to go through alone. So, I’m here. We are in this together. It will all workout, and you will get through this. I see it happening.”

My best friend grew accustomed to the cracked lens. She accepted the distorted view from the cracked lens and helped me look past it. I may not be able to see clearly, but she can. She’s here to help me.

She sees me when I can’t even see myself, believes in me when I have no faith, gives me hope when I am hopeless, acts as my therapist, she is my teacher, but most importantly, she is the girl with the most beautiful soul that I am fortunate enough to call my best friend.

Thank you for seeing clearly for me when I can’t. Love doing college with you, but love you more!