7 Things That May Help You Fall Asleep

7 Things That May Help You Fall Asleep

Brought to you by your local night owl.

20
7 Things That May Help You Fall Asleep

For me, getting the recommended eight hours of sleep is basically impossible. I'm a night owl, and I tend to get more things done at night than I do during the day. A normal bedtime for me could vary somewhere between 12 a.m. and 5-5:30 a.m. If I'm able to fall asleep before midnight, I would consider it an early night.

I've tried so many things if not everything to help me fall asleep, from melatonin to sleep aids and all natural herbal dietary supplements. Some of these solutions do help, however, they only work sometimes as opposed to on a regular basis.

I've found over time that some of the things that have helped me fall asleep are out of the box from the generic and ordinary remedies. Some might even call them strange, and I for the life of me have absolutely no idea why they work, but they do, so I don't question it.

What works for me may not work for everyone, but when you're desperate to fall asleep you'll try just about anything.

1. Heavy Music

Architects

I for the life of me can't explain why heavy music is able to put me to sleep. Whether it be pop-punk, alternative, metal, and metalcore, there's something I can't put my finger on that allows me to unwind and sleep peacefully.

I first discovered this worked towards the end of college. One night, I just started listening to Easter Egg by Waterparks before bed and maybe 20 minutes later I was out like a light.

While I really can't explain why it helps (it just does), I do have a theory. I think there might be something about Awsten's voice that is soothing. It could be his pitch or range but something helps lull me to sleep. Easter Egg is only one of many Waterparks songs that help me sleep.

As of recent bands such as The Amity Affliction, CrazyEightyEight, Architects' song Royal Beggars, AS IT IS as well as other punk/metal bands have also been helping me drift off o sleep.

Maybe it's the pitch/vocal range of the singer, the sound of the guitars, or beat of the drums, but there's something in heavy music that mentally relaxes me and helps me drift off to sleep.

2. Pressure Points

Rubbing and activating the different pulse and pressure points on your body can help relieve stress, headaches, cramps, congestion and even help you fall asleep.

A while ago I was scrolling through BuzzFeed and came across a video that showed me where on my body the points that control sleep are. I was intrigued by what I found so I decided to give it a try, and I've got to say it worked much faster than I expected. Truthfully I wasn't sure it was going to actually work. I do believe in acupuncture and natural remedies, however, I was a little skeptical, but have been using this trick on the hardest of nights to fall asleep since.

The spot that works the best for me is the point on the top left-hand corner of my left hand. This is below your left thumb and slightly below your wrist. Apply gentle pressure for about a minute and you should start to feel drowsy.

To check out the video, click here.

3. Advil PM

While I would rather not take pills to fall asleep, Advil PM does work wonders when it comes to getting myself to close my eyes. Advil PM is one of those things that can be used besides a pain reliever. It was actually suggested to me by my doctor as something to take before bedtime to make me sleepy.

The only issue I really have is that it makes me more groggy in the morning than normal. Now I'm not a morning person in general, but I feel like it's a little harder to get out of bed after using it to go to bed.

It helps. I wouldn't say it gives me the best night's sleep, but it does the job and most of the time that's all I ask.

I DO NOT recommend taking more than TWO Advil PM a night. I have experienced taking three or four and it just makes getting out of bed even harder than it should be. I have woken up so late that I had very little time to get myself ready and to work after taking more than I should have the night before. Nor do I recommend taking it with alcohol (21+ people).

4. SOM Sleep Drink

Before trying SOM, I never thought to try let alone actually try drinks that are supposed to make you fall asleep. I figured it was a scam by companies to sell overpriced products that don't work. Why would I spend $10 on a small bottle of something that's essentially flavored water?

Alas, I decided I was going to try it, and SOM was the brand I chose to try. I did an experiment, I decided that I was going to use SOM Sleep Drink for four days (there were only four cans) and not take anything else.

In the end, it actually worked better than I expected it to. To read more about this experiment you can read my full article here.

5. Melatonin Patch

If you're trying to find a way to fall asleep, but are afraid of forming an addiction to medication, this is for you. I had no idea melatonin patches existed until I found them online. I used to take melatonin every night. Eventually, my body was able to tolerate the dosage, so I kept having to up it. While I'm not afraid of forming an addiction, I don't like the idea of relying on pills to fall asleep. Yes, Advil PM works wonders, but you feel groggy in the morning and that feeling is even worse when you're already not a morning person.

These patches come in a variety of strengths (3-10mgs) and are easy to use. While the directions suggest placing the patches on your upper arm, I've found that placing it on the bottom of your feet also helps.

Melatonin patches are made with all natural ingredients including Melatonin, Magnesium, Hops, Valerian Root, and 5-HTP.

6. Cold Room

I don't know what it is, but there is something about a cold room that helps me fall asleep. While I don't like it to be freezing, I do like putting my fan on full blast and snuggling under the covers.

Ever since I was in college, I started sleeping with my personal fan at the end of my bed blowing directly on the highest setting it could go. After that, I couldn't get a decent night to sleep without it. I personally think it has to do with the air being blown directly on me as opposed to just being in a room with a fan on that helps. It helps with circulating the air around the room and that relaxes me.

7. Elevated Feet

As you've probably figured out by now, some pretty strange things help me fall asleep, none of which I can explain and this one is no different. Every night I sleep with my feet either elevated or in the air to some degree.

Apparently, I sleep in some pretty weird positions (It was pointed out to me recently that I sleep with my legs curled up in the fetal position, however, instead of being on my side I'm on my back). I have no idea how I end up there, I just do, but regardless of how I end up, my feet are always elevated. It has something to do with blood flow and circulation in the feet.