8 Ways to De-Stress This Finals Season

8 Ways to De-Stress This Finals Season

Because a GPA does not rule over your physical and mental health

11
8 Ways to De-Stress This Finals Season

It's that time of the semester again: The library is packed, Starbucks coffee cups are littered everywhere, and no one had gotten sleep in what feels like a month. Finals season is probably the most stressful time on a college campus. These exams dictate if we actually learned anything in the classes we payed hundreds of dollars for. These exams also lend themselves to a decent chunk of our final grade in a class which will explain whether we're smiling or crying when our GPA is released. While it's important to study hard and perform well, we also need to remember that we are more than a number. Our skills and abilities don't solely lie in a 4 point scale. If you're looking for some way to deal with the stress of finals, then read on!

1. Go to the Gym

Summer is on its way and everyone wants to show off the work they've put in during the winter. If you're someone who could use a little extra credit in that area this semester then there's no time like the present to get started. Turn it into a routine over the summer and when you come back in the fall, everyone's jaws will drop. Working out is a great stress reliever, and exercising releases endorphins which make you happy!

2.  Hang Out with Your Friends

Friends are what makes life worth living! It's very easy to get caught up in all the work we have as college students and not really have time for much else. This is totally fine, and school is priority of course, but also don't forget to carve some time out your best buds! Hanging out and just goofing around can make you feel way happier than writing that 10-page final paper. Watch a movie, spill some tea, or just enjoy each other's company. Anytime spent with friends is time well spent.

3. Making Some Form of Art

Whether it's painting, drawing, or sculpting just let your creative juices flow. Painting can reduce stress and anxiety by calming you with a soothing task to perform. Try to follow a tutorial or just go freestyle and make something all your own. A plus side is that you can either give it to someone as a gift (Mother's Day is coming up) or you can add a sweet new piece of art to your wall.

4. Dance it Out

I absolutely love dancing! It's incredible exercise, is a beautiful form of expression, and there's no "right way" to do it! Dancing it out, whether that means actually going into a studio or just throwing on some music and jumping around in your room can make you feel so much lighter and help your cardiovascular health if done regularly. It's also exercise which means, you guessed it, ENDORPHINS!

5. Write Something

Start a journal or just write down thoughts and feelings. Whether it's poems or short stories, write in a book once a day and it will help tremendously. Getting the chance to just write down whatever you're feeling is a productive way of dealing with any stress or anxiety a person might be feeling. This is something I personally want to start doing as I always feel at ease once I'm finished writing. Who knows, you may develop a new passion and you could come write for Odyssey!!!

6. Order Some Comfort Food

Working late into the night on lab manuscripts doesn't leave much in the way for getting food as most places on campus close down after midnight or sooner. Good thing Domino's not only delivers but is open till 2:00 AM! That's right, you can get pizza, breadsticks, and LAVA CAKES until 2 in the morning. Plus, they've got this really awesome $5.99 deal going on, it's a life saver to be honest. Whether you're carbo-loading for a long night, or celebrating the completion of a take home final, pizza is always acceptable in any capacity.

7. Take a Nap

I know our generation has the mindset that if you're not constantly working then you're wasting your time, however no one can work 24/7, it's just not possible. We all need to take a second to ourselves and use that time to recharge. Finals is often the time of the year with the most due and consequently, the last amount of sleep. All-nighters and caffeine induced work marathons are extremely common and can lead to adverse health effects. When you finish that exam, you studied all night for, go get some sleep instead of starting the next task. Your body needs to refresh itself and gain all the energy back that it lost. You will feel much more alert and focused for the next challenge to tackle if you carve a little time out for a snooze!

8. Go Pet a Dog

Noah Spencer

It doesn't take a genius to see how much I love dogs. I certainly show everyone I come in contact with a million photos of my pupper and have absolutely no shame in it. Contact with animals, specifically dogs, has shown numerous times over to lower anxiety and stress. There's a reason why everyone feels so good when they're with a dog and it's because their presences help release dopamine and serotonin in your brain which make you feel relaxed and happy. Spending time with our four-legged friends can be just the fix you need for Finals Time Blues. Also, enjoy this picture of my dog.

It's super important to do well on your finals. As the old saying goes: "pain is temporary, GPA is forever" and while GPA is important, your own sanity and mental health is more important. At the end of the day a grade point average is just a number and we can't keep diminishing our health over a number. So remember to work hard and do your absolute best on finals, but don't overextend yourself and take time for yourself! Good luck everyone!