how to deal with depression

6 Ways To Deal With Depression That Most People Don't Think About

Everyone has had their battles with depression and we all deal with it in different ways.

25

1. Write in a journal

Writing is a therapeutic way to release your feelings.I like to write and explain my feelings to myself. Sometimes depression can hit when you're the loneliest and sometimes you may not feel like you have anyone to talk to. You may have people to talk to but you don't think they will understand you. This is the perfect moment to get everything out. I usually write about my thoughts and try to explain to myself how my depression feels to me. I might end up writing poetry or I make a timeline of the last time I was happy.

2. Watch motivational/funny videos

Youtube has definitely saved me from some days of complete depression.I remember when I was going through my very first break-up i discovered a guy named Tre' Melvin on youtube. Since I had more free time I would binge watch his videos. They do say laughter is the best medicine.Another thing I like to watch are motivational videos, I found some videos from a Pastor named Mike Todd of Transformation Church whose messages are so motivating.There are others like, Lisa Nichols, James Edwards.

3. Counseling

Sometimes people think you have to be suicidal to go to counseling. I was the same way. I thought why do I need to go to a counselor? I'm not crazy.Counseling really has changed my life. I see a counselor once a week and I leave more empowered after each session.Just think of a counselor as the best friend you never had that is obligated to keep all your secrets. I can't really describe how I feel after leaving a session, I feel like a huge weight is lifted from my shoulders.It's good to have someone to talk to who is unbiased and doesn't push religion or personal opinions on you.

4. Get out and about 

One thing I noticed with dealing with depression is that I feel a lot better after getting out of the house. I would go to Walmart,drive to get food,or go to church. Sometimes its hard to get motivated to do it. If I have any ounce of motivation I definitely take advantage of the opportunity. If I just can't seem to get out I like to open the windows or go outside for a little while.

5. Redecorate

when i'm feeling down, I like to spruce of my living space. whether it's changing your bedding or putting up new decor for the season. A fresh look on your living space can give you something to look forward to when you get home. I often zone out when I get in a good decorating mood. It helps me forget about the problems and relaxes me

6. Positive Reflection

When my depression hits I seem to dwell on all the negatives in my life. I forget all the challenges I overcame to get to the point where I am now. At times when I feel overwhelmed, I like to remember my support system and the kind things strangers have said to me I think about the little things like awards i've recieved ,promotions or raises at work. Everything positive I've done or encountered in the past. It gives me hope that things will get better.