Warner Brothers Studios Is Not Doing DC Comics Justice (No Pun Intended)

As you all know, the new Justice League movie was released last week, and sadly, the reviews have not been that great.

34
Vimeo

As you all know, the new Justice League movie was released a couple of weeks ago, and sadly, the reviews have not been that great. However, this article is not about the reviews that movie critics have given the movie. Instead, I am going to talk about how Warner Brothers doomed DC Comics from the start, even before they released Justice League. I am not going to present to you many statistics and figures, but I am simply going to explain to you all why I believe that Warner Brothers failed in their attempt to replicate the success of Marvel Studios. Quite honestly, the reason behind their failure can be summed up with one word, and that word is patience.

Why is patience the perfect word to describe Warner Brothers failures with creating DC movies? This is because they do not have it. Marvel did not build their empire overnight. They used strategy, patience, and time. Before they created The Avengers, each character had their own movie, so that audience members would feel connected to each character. Iron Man had his own movie, Captain America had his own movie, Thor had his own movie, and even though Hulk is played by a different actor in The Avengers, he still had his own movie. Personally, I love watching the backstory of these superheroes, it helps me to feel attached to the characters. I also like it when it is easy for me to see that each character has a well-developed storyline, and Marvel has done an amazing job at developing movie plots.

The first mistake that Warner Brothers made was thinking that they could just throw all of these superheroes together into one movie, without properly developing each character’s storyline. Were they thinking that audience members would already feel attached to these characters simply because characters like Superman and Batman have been around for a long time? Yes, there have been many Superman and Batman movies, but the audience still needs to feel attached to the actors that are portraying these characters. Henry Cavill (the actor that plays Superman) in my opinion was a terrific choice for the role. Despite contrary opinion, I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel, and after watching that movie, I actually had a glimmer of hope that Warner Brothers could become like Marvel. I wanted Superman to get one more movie on his own, and then I wanted Batman to have his own movie, along with Wonder Woman, Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman. If you watch The Flash on CW, seeing Ezra Miller play The Flash instead of Grant Gustin was probably pretty odd to see, so it would have been nice if Ezra received his own movie to establish a connection with the fans.

Now I realize that creating these many solo movies would take a while for fans to see a Justice League movie, but if each character had a properly developed story, and their worlds were intertwined in a believable way like with The Avengers, I promise you that it would be worth the wait. I am honestly getting excited about watching these character development movies and waiting for a real Justice League movie to come out, but sadly, Warner Brothers ruined their opportunity.

You cannot just make Ben Affleck the next Batman and expect audience members to be attached to the character, especially when Christian Bale gave a masterful performance as Batman for many years (he will always be my favorite Batman no matter what and I will not be satisfied watching anyone else play the character). Ben Affleck needed his own Batman movie to really establish a connection with the Batman fan base, because in my opinion when I found out that Christian Bale was hanging up his mask and giving up the role, I did not have any desire to see another Batman film ever again.

It is also a shame that Warner Brothers failed with Justice League because they had an absolute gem playing Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot was an excellent choice for the role, and the Wonder Woman movie was a knockout. If Warner Brothers just kept creating solo movies first, I would not have to write this article criticizing their decisions, and instead, I would be writing about how excited I am for Justice League!

Deciding to combine Batman and Superman into one movie, was a crucial mistake, deciding to give each Justice League character a quick intro, was another terrible mistake, and their lack of patience when developing these movies was their greatest mistake.

Superman is probably the biggest comic book hero of all time, and he deserves his story to be told on the big screen in the right way. His story should not be rushed, just because Warner Brothers wants to make money off of a Justice League movie. If they really wanted to have a box office hit, then they would have properly developed each characters’ story, and they would have never made Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

DC Comics, I am sorry that you all did not receive the movies that you all deserved. Hopefully, someday, someone will get it right, and I will never have to criticize a DC movie ever again.