To The Students Who Walked Out For Gun Control, We WILL Make A Difference
Politics

The students of today are taking action to seek the change for tomorrow. This generation is ready to create change.

96
@shswalkout2018 / Instagram

You have no idea how proud I am of all of you.

March 14 was a special day, not only in my former school county and state, but across the nation as thousands of high school students protested by participating in a walkout to advocate for gun control.

As for students who attend the school system where I grew up, these young minds went to the Capitol to protest during the day. Our community has always been a quite politically-savvy and emotionally mature group of students. With such a close proximity to our U.S. Capitol, we constantly have access to the most up-and-coming news and the ability to explore and understand the heart of our nation.

Some schools had timed walkouts for victims; some had moments of silence. Whatever it was that the school did, it was powerful.

It's amazing, really, what happens when you ignite a spark of passion and perseverance in a young adult.

Students across these different school systems each tweaked their walkouts to create physical impact. Whether it was desks topped with roses representing a victim of a school shooting, or placing pairs of children's shoes on Capitol Hill with each pair representing a child who has died from a mass shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012, to even just having 17 minutes of silence for the 17 victims of the most recent Florida public school shooting, each act sent a powerful message.

I believe that the dignity and strength of the survivors in Florida has inspired us to follow in their footsteps and join the movement to enact policy.

I am so honored to be an alumnus of my high school in this moment because I see the kids I grew up alongside, some of the brightest and most innovative minds in the country, standing up for what they believe in.

To my friends and family who participated in this day of incredible action: Continue being loud and proud. Hold up your signs, scream at the top of your lungs.

When you’re out there fighting for your rights and using your freedom of speech, remember that only you can create the change you seek within this world, and this is only the beginning.

Passion and unity ignite change, and even though we are young, we can, I repeat, WE CAN, make a difference when we work together.