A Wake Up Call From Our Environment
Politics

A Wake Up Call From Our Environment

The Great Barrier Reef won’t be the last of our natural world to die.

140
A Wake Up Call From Our Environment
theconversation.com

I think it’s about time to really crack open the conversation of climate change and global warming. To keep avoiding the topic or downgrading its validity is not only wrong but also humanly irresponsible. I listen to claims that global warming is a hoax or climate change isn’t real and with each word I lose more hope in this problem ever being solved. How can you work on a problem when you won’t even admit it exists?

In recent news, there has been talk about the Great Barrier Reef. If you haven’t read the viral news story, Outside online wrote an obituary for the global landmark. With the headline “Obituary: Great Barrier Reef (25 Million BC – 2016)", the story caught the eye of millions. The article explains the reef in its original glory, its authentic beauty, and its contributions to the natural world. It continues to reflect on its death and its destruction by the human race, the rising sea levels of global warming proceeding to create mass coral bleaching. One of the world’s most valued natural gifts was completely destroyed by our inability to protect the one thing we need to survive, our planet.

Our world has never been more in danger than it is today. Earth’s temperature has never been so high and it continues to increase faster than ever before. According to the National Wildlife Federation, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any point in time in the last 650,000 years. With no change in how we operate as a species, this planet will die. It’s not normal to have 80-degree weather when it should be 30. It’s not normal to see an entire animal species die because the Earth doesn’t maintain the resources they need to survive anymore. The effects of climate change will only get worse the longer we continue with our destructive ways.

We as a species have single-handedly chosen to ruin and kill the only thing in this life that we should have been protecting. It’s our livelihood, our energy, our food, the only thing keeping us alive, the place we expect to pass down to our family for generations, yet we have chosen to destroy it. It makes no sense. It may seem naïve, but I really think with a global collective effort there is a way to function as a universal market without completely destroying the planet. With advancement in technology we are seeing some revolutionary products and production techniques that are environmentally conscious, but there is so much more that can and needs to be done. There are politicians backing to defund climate change efforts and research. Vote wisely. There are corporations who promote polluting manufacturing techniques. Shop wisely. Support people, places, and things that are conscious of our human responsibility to preserve our home and eventually, the destructive ones will lose traction.

Every person can do something to help, small or large. Even if it means recycling when you normally would not put in the effort, try doing so. I think one of the first and most important parts of choosing to help our planet is to accept that there is a problem. Whether you’re made aware of this problem by statistics or that you’re shockingly wearing a T-shirt on a hot day in December, what’s important is being mindful and trying to make an improvement. Educate yourself on what is happening to our planet and learn about ways that you may be unknowingly contributing. The deterioration of the Great Barrier Reef should be a huge wake-up call to those who are denying what is going on.

One outlet to educating yourself on what is happening to the natural world that I would highly recommend is the newly released documentary, "Before the Flood."