Poetry On Odyssey: Still Waiting For My Glow Up

A poem on the modern-age of glow-ups, social media culture and body confidence.

195
Flickr

Hey, you!

Don’t think I can’t see you from my position hunched over a textbook

I might wear glasses but I’m not blind

I see you, silently judging me and my less than ideal body

I’m sorry my love handles offend you as I cram for my next test

Of course, I have nothing better to do

Cuz with a body like that I definitely can’t depend on my looks after high school

You think that’s why I study

Why my face is forever trapped in Physics, Chemistry, Biology

History, English, Mathematics

APs, IBs, SATs, ACTs

Reading, writing, reciting, again and again and again

Even when you’re out with your squad on the weekends

The Moms place a hand on my shoulder and shake their heads sadly

“Someday you’ll glow up, sweetie”

“Well, bless your heart!”

What a shame, what a pity

“A brain can’t get a ring, but a body can”

Well, I guess I should apologize again

For not being the ideal woman

For not looking like an instagram baddie, while going to the gym every day and still being able to eat whatever I want

Sorry for not caring about my acne, and stressing over every pimple that craters my face

Sorry for not Snapchatting my existence or live-tweeting the next Game of Thrones episode

Sorry for not being the Girl Next Door who smells like cherry lip gloss and has a cute sneeze

So the next time you and your friends snicker quietly in the library

Laughing at me from a distance, but knowing I can hear

Just know that someday I may or may not be your boss

Or better yet, you’re president

So let me say this in a language you’ll understand: sorry not sorry I’m not a pretty girl, and my makeup is not on fleek 24/7

And I don’t own Adidas or that crop top from Forever21

And I’m not a baddie and my ass isn’t the size of Texas

And I hope you can get over it #couldn’tcareless

Disclaimer: This is a fictional work of poetry. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a poetic manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.