The Vulture and the Little Boy

The Vulture and the Little Boy

Will you stop for someone else today?

396
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/vulture-little-girl/
Photo shot by: Kevin Carter (1993)

Tim Tebow shared this photo during Passion 2020 and I'll never forget it.

The photo above is a Pulitzer-Prize winning photograph of a little boy who collapsed on his way to a food center in Sudan. He was so malnourished that a vulture came and stood by, waiting for him to die.

The photographer, Kevin Carter, took the photo and left. Maybe he had somewhere to go. Maybe he was afraid of touching him and getting sick. Maybe he didn't know what to do. The point is the boy was left alone. Even though this photo went on to win the highest honor awarded to photographers - the 1994 Pulitzer Prize, Carter ended his life 4 months later.

I'll never know why he chose to end his life. But I know what it's like to ache because I could have said something or did something to show Jesus' love to someone, but I didn't because I had excuses: "I'm tired; I'm awkward; someone else will help."

Today, I almost made an excuse again. I was with my mom, walking around our neighborhood at night. We walked past a parked Prius with its headlights on. Someone was in the car. When we walked past, the Holy Spirit moved immediately inside my heart.

We knocked on her window and she looked at us like we were crazy, but she opened her door anyway. We told her Jesus wanted us to stop and ask her if she was okay, or if she needed prayer for anything.

She got out of her car and with tears in her eyes said, "Yes – I feel so lost."

We prayed, shared hugs, and told her Jesus loves her: He's the good shepherd who leaves the 99 sheep for the 1 lost one. No one is too lost or too insignificant in His eyes.

It was the greatest feeling ever when she smiled and said, "Thank you for stopping. I needed to hear that."

All it took was 7 minutes of our time. There are hurting people everywhere, and I hope we can be the people to stop, listen, and point them to the wonderful hope that can only be found in Christ:

Because that person is worth it.