Being Vulnerable Is Not A Sign of Weakness

Communication is strength.

41
Lauren Spiezia

For as long as I could remember, I feared opening up and to be vulnerable around others more than spiders, the dark, and heights all combined. I had this preconceived notion in my head that showing and communicating my emotions was a sign of weakness. I told myself over and over that I could handle everything on my own and I'd avoid being a burden to my friends and family at all costs. But after many different experiences, from family fights to toxic relationships and everything in between, I've realized the importance of one thing:

It's okay to not always be okay.

Just like there will be good days that make you feel like you're on top of the world, there'll be others where it seems like everything goes wrong. It's completely normal and okay to want to talk about anything from a bad day to a more serious problem that deeply affects you.

Communicating never makes you a burden; it makes you a strong person.

Having the courage to articulate your thoughts into words and share them with someone else shows that you know how to acknowledge when you need help, whether that means a shoulder to cry on while you rant or meaningful advice.

What you may perceive as being "weak" is actually a manifestation of your ability to persevere through anything that life throws at you. Finding people that you trust enough to share the vulnerable side of you helps you grow as a person and aids others in doing the same.

In some circumstances, there is strength in numbers when tackling something difficult.

It is completely normal to rely on others during an emotionally-draining situation. If your friend or family member was overwhelmed, would you want them to be fighting their battles alone? Absolutely not. Care for yourself like you would a loved one. Your strength, even at your lowest point, is immeasurable, and communicating with others shows just that. So keep your head up and keep showing the world exactly who runs it.