Voting By Mail Secures Our Right to Vote

A perspective on the necessity for voting this November to be conducted via mail-in ballots.

3

Sidenote: The plot of this story nor its characters is not real.

[Clip of President Trump speaking on television]

"And that is why President Trump and Republicans believe that not all states should have mail-in voting; or at least these states should have a choice on whether or not they want to partake in mail-in voting" the newscaster said.

"Now, I believe that I can speak for everyone at this news station, and we agree with President Trump on mail-in voting. If everyone is mail-voting, then it would leave more room for corruption. For example, people could steal each other's ballots, their ballots could get lost in the mail, or more. A number of corruptible actions could happen if all states allow their citizens to vote by mail this November. For these reasons, we, like the President, are against it" the newscaster explained.

[Voting Day]

ROSE

After watching the news, Rose gets up from her chair, and walks with her cane to the counter. She then looks up her nearest polling station in her state of Alabama.

"Wow, they chose that location! That's so far for me!" she told herself. But she wanted to vote, so she took her daily pills, got her car keys, and walked towards the front door.

But then suddenly, she felt unwell, and decided to go later. However, when she woke up from her nap, she found she was too tired to go.

"It was too far" she told herself, and plus she believed that at the age of 87, she should not be driving that far for anything except for her grandchildren or a doctor's appointment.

She could not vote, because she was too far.

MILES

He heard this same newscast, and became upset.

'We're literally in the middle of the second COVID-19 wave, and you still believe that we all need to go to the polls!?" he yelled at the TV.

But due to his frustration with the current administration, he told himself that he needed to vote. He wheeled himself and his wheelchair from the TV, then looked up the location of his polling station on his phone.

"Now, do they have a ramp or wheelchair access?" he asked himself.

After doing some research, he found that there was not a ramp, and that for him to have access to the polling station, he needed to park in the back of the building, get himself to the front of the building, then enter the polling station. He was really not in the mood for this.

He then wheeled himself out to the car, and tried to get in. He was still new to his disability, as he was in that one car crash a month before, and was still adjusting. As he tried to get into the car, he failed to find his strength to fully get in without the danger of falling to the ground. And with his girlfriend not being there to help him, he gave up.

Despite his frustrations with the current administration, he was not able to get to the polling station to vote.

RONNY

After watching the news, he wanted to vote, however he didn't have an official government ID. He was frustrated because since he didn't have an official government ID, he would not be able to vote at any of the polling stations, and in turn would not be able to vote. He was a US citizen, however, because of him being born at home instead of a hospital, he did not receive a birth certificate. And as a result, could not obtain a government ID.

Due to the lack of ID, he could not go to the polling station, and vote.

JUDY

After driving for 30 minutes to get to her nearest polling station, she got out of the car, and waited in line for 45 minutes. The man in front of her was coughing, but that didn't bother her. After showing her government ID, she then without knowing used the same polling booth as the sick man. She grabbed the pen, filled out her ballot, then dropped it in the polling box. She then wiped her face, and walked out of the polling station, and into her car.

For Further Reading:

Paul Steinhauser "Trump takes new swipe at push to expand voting by mail amid coronavirus crisis"