How To Vote In The Election While Away At School

I feel like so many people away at college don't actually know how to vote in presidential elections if they don't live at home anymore. It's actually a fairly simple process, but not a very known one. Here are the steps that I have personally gone through to be able to vote in this year's election.

1. Register to vote

I know people don't think their vote matters, but you should still register to vote. You're an American who was given the right the help decide matters of our country, be proud of that and take part in elections! You can follow this link to register to vote in Illinois: https://ova.elections.il.gov/

2. Contact your County Clerks Office from your home county

This is so simple because all you have to do is type in your home county name and put 'county clerks office' next to it and you should be able to find the absentee ballot from there. If you have questions, you can always call down to the office.

3. Apply for an Absentee Ballot

This is a mail-in ballot that you can fill in at your leisure and mail back in. You will have to fill out very little information, like your home address and current address and your name. It's really easy so you kind of don't have an excuse.

4. Fill out your Absentee Ballot and send it back in the mail

Within a few days, you will receive a packet in the mail with your ballot and an already addressed envelope to send the ballot back in. All you have to do is get the proper postage and send it off. No waking up early to vote or standing in lines, you can fill it out in your pajamas!

5. Make sure you have it back in time!!

There should be a date by which you must have your ballot returned by; this does not mean dated for that day! It NEEDS to be in by the date specified. For Illinois residents, they need to be in by November 3.