things to do in West Virginia

'New River Gorge' And 15 Other Dream Vacation Spots In West Virginia

Country roads, take me home.

81
Megan Parsons
Megan Parsons

West Virginia may not be your dream vacation spot, but it should be! Two things West Virginia should be known for are their beautiful and interesting sights. West Virginia is full of history, culture and beautiful views. From fishing, camping, ghost tours, eating, shopping, historical sights, and outdoor adventures, there is something for everyone in West Virginia! Fun for all ages can be found in the state. For your next vacay, check out the top spots in wild and wonderful West Virginia!

1. Summersville Lake

The clear waters of Summersville Lake will enchant you to come back. Water sports are massively popular in West Virginia. From boating, water skiing, kayaking, and even scuba diving, Summersville has it all! You can even rock climb and camp. Next time you are looking for a new lake to enjoy, check out Summersville! It won't disappoint.

2. Lewisburg

Love little towns with cute little shops? Lewisburg is for you then! A small town filled with little shops, great restaurants, cute bed and breakfast locations, several theatre options and for two weeks in August holds The State Fair of West Virginia. Lewisburg also holds a chocolate festival and the WV Winter Music Festival. It was also featured in Budget Travel's Coolest Small Towns in America! Next time you need a mini-vacay, check out this awesome little town!

3. The Greenbrier

What's more luxurious than a 5-star resort? The Greenbrier Resort is a 5-star resort featuring golfing, fantastic dining, a spa, a casino, and several outdoor activities. Famous for the Greenbrier Classic, the event offers great golf and concerts. This resort is a get-away for many celebrities. If you're looking for an amazing get-away fit for a princess, check out the Greenbrier Resort!

4. Charles Town and Harpers Ferry

Are you a history buff? Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are the places for you! Located extremely close to Washington D.C. Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are known for their involvement during and before the events leading to the Civil War. In Harpers Ferry, John Brown's raid took place. John Brown and his soldiers robbed a United States armory to arm slaves to abolish slavery. John Brown and his soldiers were defeated by United States Marines. Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are also home to several museums, a casino, distilleries, an opera house, and several historical and heritage tours. If you're looking for a historical get-away with amazing sights, check out Charles Town and Harpers Ferry!

5. Morgantown

Home of West Virginia University, Morgantown is a place you must visit. Enjoy a football game at Milan Puskar Stadium, where the "official NFL team of West Virginia" plays. You can also find great nightlife, watch the minor baseball league the Mountaineer Black Bears, visit Cheat Lake, visit the Forks of Cheat Winery and several other things. If you're looking for city life with a small town feel, visit Morgantown!

6. Buckhannon

Who doesn't love strawberries? Home of the West Virginia Strawberry Festival and to several cute shops in the downtown area, Buckhannon is a great place to visit. The West Virginia Wildlife Center is also open to visitors. The wildlife center is a place for rehabilitation for West Virginia animals. If you're looking for a weekend getaway with plenty of unique options, Buckhannon is your place!

7. Seneca Rocks

Rock climbing, great views and even caverns to explore? Who could want more? Seneca Rocks is a beautiful option for those who enjoy the outdoors. From rock climbing, repelling, hiking and camping, Seneca Rocks is a great place to visit. Get outside and visit Seneca Rocks!

8. Babcock State Park

I see beautiful sights in the great outdoors! Babcock offers great camping locations, including cabins. There are beautiful hiking trails, great trout fishing and, family fun activities! If you're looking for an outdoor adventure, check out Babcock State Park!

9. Watoga State Park

Talk about a beautiful campsite and river! The Watoga State Park is seated on the Greenbrier River, which is famous for its great bass and trout fishing. The Watoga State Park offers great hiking and outdoor recreational activities, too! Next time you want an outdoor adventure, visit Watoga!

10. Green Bank Observatory

Love space? Do I have news for you! The Green Bank Observatory is a giant telescope that is answering our space questions daily. Located in Pocahontas County, the observatory is a great place for science lovers! You can take tours and see scientists in action. If you're looking for an out-of-this-world experience, check out the Green Bank Observatory!

11. Snowshoe Mountain

Snow sports? Yes, please; snowshoe has you covered! This gem in West Virginia should be your go-to ski resort. With top-of-the-art facilities, great trails and great lodging options, everyone needs to check out Snowshoe! It's also located in beautiful Pocahontas County.

12. New River Gorge Bridge

The New River Gorge Bridge is located in Fayetteville, WV. It is most commonly known for Bridge Day, which is a festival where experienced jumpers parachute off the bridge. It is the longest single arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere and is beautifully located between two mountains with the New River located in the valley. You can even walk underneath the bridge on the Bridge Walk to see the view. The Gorge is a beautiful view in this beautiful state!

13. Cass Scenic Railroad State Park

This is a fall classic! This state park allows you to take a train ride around the West Virginia mountains. Take a blast to the past as you take a ride around the mountains. The 11-mile train ride allows you to see a view not many people have seen. Inside the park, there is also horseback riding, a general store, fishing, and boating. Cass holds fun for everyone!

14. Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

It's almost Halloween! Do you know what that means? Haunted Houses! The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum is listed as one of the top haunted places to visit in America. Thousands of people called this hospital home, and many of them are said to still be present here today. The asylum closed in the 1940s due to overcrowding, poor living conditions and changes in mentally ill-treatment. Today, it is open for haunted and historic tours. If you're looking for a historic or haunted tour, check out the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum!

15. Ace Adventures Resorts

Who doesn't love a waterpark? You're for sure to love this water park more than any other since it is on the water. Slides and water games float on top of the lake for fun for all ages! You can even zip-line into the water. But, Ace Adventures has so much more to offer than the waterpark! They also have zip-lining tours and white water rafting! This hidden treasurer is a great way to bring fun to anyone!

16. Gritts Fall Family Fun Farm

This small, family farm in Buffalo, West Virginia is a hidden gem in the state. During the fall, this farm is transformed into a fun farm featuring two corn mazes, apple cannons, archery, slides, fall treats, playground activities, zip lines and more! It's a great fall time activity for the entire family. Special events go on throughout the year as well such as gardening classes and farm to table dinners. To view more about the fall farm, visit their website!