Valentines Day Should Be A Time Of Love For Everyone

In A Season Of Hate, Valentine's Day Should Be A Time Of Love For More Than Just Couples

People love to hate on Valentine's Day, but maybe it's about more than just crushes, dinner dates, and roses.

21
https://www.pexels.com/photo/baby-children-cute-dress-264109/

Everyone loves to hate Valentine's Day. Whether you're single or in a relationship, Valentine's Day is either the best day of the year or one of the worst. From Anti-Valentine's Day parties to passive aggressive tweets, it's almost more fun to hate the day of love than embrace it. But maybe, just maybe, after months of shootings, heightened political tension, government shutdowns, and more negative Facebook posts than positive ones, this Valentine's Day should be about more than cheap candy and date nights.

The origins of Valentine's Day can be traced back to Ancient Rome, animal sacrifices, and the beating of women. Feel free to view the whole story here. If that gruesome tale teaches us anything, it's that we should be turning Valentine's Day into whatever we want it to be. Don't we have enough hate in our everyday lives? Can't we just find a way to make Valentine's Day a day of positivity rather than resentment?

The last 365 days have carried with them a lot of pain for many people. Even more damaging than that, the last 365 days have bred intense hated for one another. Let's make this Valentine's Day the turning point for all relationships. Here are a few ways you can give a positive spin to an otherwise frustrating day.

Do a social media cleanse.

Take 20 minutes to clear all of the negativity from your social media accounts. Whether that be negative people or negative accounts, getting rid of these influences will keep the hate from being the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning.

Don't be afraid to cut these people out. On the reverse of that, if you're someone posting these negative things, please stop. If you care that much about politics, the environment, or other people, get out and do something about it. Posting every opinion you have on Facebook isn't doing anything for anyone.

Do something kind for someone you don't know.

Random acts of kindness do more for you than the person you're doing them for. Pay for someone's meal. Write a sweet note and leave it on a windshield. Do a chore for a friend or neighbor. Write a letter to someone you haven't talked to in a while. It doesn't matter what you do, just find a kind way to show some love.

Spend quality time with someone — anyone really.

Turn off the television, shut down your phone, and break out the games (or the crafts or the coloring books). For many, quality time is the best way to show love. Whether you spend time with a friend, roommate, parent, or spouse, there are many non-romantic ways to show that you care. You can make someone's day with just with a few hours of uninterrupted time.

Valentine's Day doesn't have to be negative. It doesn't have to be a time of jealousy or anger. Valentine's Day should be a time of love for anyone and everyone. In the age of American hate, maybe a day of love isn't the worst thing ever. Let's make this February 14th better than all that came before it.