The Word 'Pussy' Shouldn't Be Used As a Derogatory Term

Pussy (noun): a cat; female vagina; coward or weakling

In 2005, Donald Trump was recorded on tape bragging about, "grabbing women by their pussies." Thirteen years later, Trump's shocking words reverberate the underlying issue America still has with the word, and the heavy baggage that comes with it.

If we all used the word 'pussy' strictly to talk about cats, feminism would have a load lifted off its shoulders. More often, society uses the word to describe weak or cowardly individuals. In this way, the word is used as a derogatory term that intends to attack the accused, yet does so in a way that also attacks women by association.

Whether intended or not, calling someone a pussy reaffirms society's time-old gender roles and works against modern day feminism. Using the word 'pussy' as a derogatory term does multiple things- it creates a negative stigma around the word itself and indirectly associates women with weakness by relating the female vagina with cowardice and fragility.

This goes both ways too- the term 'dick' aims to insult others based on stereotypical ideas of men as ignorant and domineering.

In such a progressive and ever-changing society, why is it so hard to stopping use the word 'pussy' as a derogatory term? The fact is most people throw around the word 'pussy' without thinking, unintentionally reaffirming the concept that female vaginas and females in general are weak. In order to end the stigma that comes with the word, society must first realize the repercussions that come with using it in a derogatory manner, and make it an obligation to inform others of this principle.

Instead of using the word 'pussy' in a way that knocks and attacks, it should be used to celebrate females and act as a term of empowerment. Modern feminists have started to take back the word as a term of positivity and power- something the rest of society should also do.

It's time to stop using 'pussy' as a term of weakness and inferiority, and time to start using it as a term of greatness and empowerment. Women should be celebrated, vaginas and all. After all, pussies are pretty darn strong.