It's 2019, Put Down The Phone

If There Is A Habit To Break In 2019 It Should Be Using Your Phone During A Conversation

You'll become a better person because of it.

44

Since the release of the iPhone in 2007, our world has changed dramatically. Our lives have come to revolve around these handheld computers that are with us at all times. We listen to music out of it, read the news, call and text our friends and family, interact with strangers anywhere in the world, and have access to unlimited information, all at the touch of our fingertips.

Many things have changed for the better, while other things have changed for the worst, and one of the worst things, in my opinion, is the inability to put down your phone while having a conversation.

I didn't realize how bad the habit was until I was attempting to have a conversation with my friend and her face was in her phone the whole time. I felt like I was talking to the wall and kept having to repeat myself. I, myself, am guilty of doing it all the time, and I hate that I could have made someone feel as if I didn't care what they are saying.

It's important to distinguish when it's an appropriate time to use your phone and when it's not, and if you're having a hard time distinguishing . . . you might be addicted.

Do not let your phone get in the way of your relationships. Whether you're meeting someone new or catching up with an old friend, just turn off your phone and put it away. That Instagram picture you were going to like or who cheated on who in the Kardashian/Jenner family can wait. If the other person doesn't do the same, don't worry, you're doing the right thing and being the better person.

Humans are social creatures, we're meant to talk and interact with each other, not to be consumed by an addictive hand-held device.