How To Get Unstuck

How To Get Unstuck

Here are a few things you can try to get unstuck.

44
How To Get Unstuck
Dream Set Achieve

Part of what makes writing difficult is taking the time to sit down and start writing. In fact, part of the difficulty in anything is just starting. Even though I'm a writer, sometimes setting out to work on my writing makes me anxious.

First, there's the expectation that I always have to throw out the window. The one where I've told myself: "I'm going to sit down and write something amazing!"

Cue the voice that comes in to counter the first: "Yeah, OK. Let me know when you come back to reality."

Instead of writing, I'll spend about 45 minutes to an hour vacillating between staring at a blank document and snacking on food. Forcing myself to write something compelling and awe inspiring only makes the white space more intimidating.

I will start writing a lot of stuff that I think I like. When I come back to it, I'll consider starting a small bonfire and throwing my papers—along with my laptop—into a burning pit and watching my work die away to fire, ash and ember. (Don't worry. No Mac laptops were harmed in the process of making this article.) However, the delete button gets a lot of abuse.

After throwing a few temper tantrums, I will just open a new document. Before you know it, I'm two hours in, and I'm stuck staring at more empty white space. However, there are a few things that I do to get myself out of this state-of-mind. If you're stuck, here are a few simple things that you can try.

1. Go for a walk

When I get stuck on a piece I'm writing, I have to leave the keyboard and notebook behind for a little while. Sometimes, I stress myself out so much that I need to decompress and recollect my thoughts.

Walking and running are activities that I usually do because they help to lower stress, so they help me get rid of some of the anxiety I have over the project. When I come back from a walk, I tend to be in a more relaxed state and frame of mind, and I can focus on what I need to do.

2. Cleaning

When the environment around you is cluttered or dirty, it can be difficult to focus. It's OK to take a break and clean up a little. Also, any type of chore that is repetitive is an easy way to allow your mind to wander. Allowing your mind to wander can help you to form new ideas about the piece you're writing.

My favorite chores to do that help me think are folding laundry and washing dishes. However, you should take caution. Cleaning can be an easy excuse to not get back to your work.

3. Change your work environment

Not all work environments are ideal, and staying in the same room all day can be boring. Try moving to a different room. If you can't move to a different room, try changing some things in your environment. And no, I'm not suggesting you start practicing Feng shui.

What I am suggesting is that you remove any distracting elements from your environment. Where your work is up to you. It doesn't have to be anywhere extraordinary like the Eiffel Tower, although that would be interesting (if you're not terrified of heights). It just needs to be a space where you feel comfortable and where you can focus.

4. Try a different creative activity/medium

Simply getting into the creative mindset can be hard, especially if you're stuck to one medium of creativity. Often times, one medium can inform you on what you're struggling with in another. Trying a new or different medium/creative activity is a good way to move you outside of your comfort zone and get back into the creative mindset.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy. It could be something as simple as learning how to cook.

5. Reading

This is a tip I hear a lot from my professors, read someone else's work. Reading someone else's work can be helpful, especially if it's a writer/poet whose work you admire. Why? Sometimes you need to be reminded of what good writing looks like. It's good to analyze the craft to see how it's done. So, read, read, and read.

Note: I am not liable for any deadlines you may miss by following this advice. Please read fine print (if you can find it) for details and sign below.