Unpopular underrated 90s movies

9 Wildly Unpopular 90s Movies From My Childhood That Were Extremely Underrated

A list of movies I watched relentlessly, but have started to realize no one else did the same.

174

VHS movies were a childhood staple. My parents had one of those minivans with a tiny TV screen and ours came with a VHS player. At the time, we lived in Eastern Iowa and my dad's parents lived in Joplin, Missouri. Each road trip we went on my siblings and I would pick out several movies for the eight-hour drive to grandma and grandpas. Some of the movies on this list were absolute favorites of mine.

As I emerge deeper into adulthood, I find myself referencing to these older movies I used to watch all the time, but have come to find out some aren't as popular as I thought. As a tribute to the nearly-extinct VCR and movies I will never forget, here are some of my favorite childhood movies you may not have heard of.

1. Invisible Mom 

This one is from 1996. Scientist dad makes an invisibility chemical, mom accidentally drinks it, family scrambles to figure out how to reverse it without anyone discovering that she's invisible.

2. Home Alone 3

Now this one is different from the little blonde boy you are probably thinking of. Full disclosure, I don't think I've ever watch the first two all the way through, but I owned the third one on VHS so it's the one I always watched. This film is from 1997.

3. My Favorite Martian 

1999 Disney movie about an alien trying to live his best life on Earth. Another classic, yet I've sadly never met another person who watched this as a child.

4. Ferngully 

Robin Williams plays an escaped lab-bat with fairies and underlying messages of respecting animal habitats and deforestation, what more could you ask for? This family favorite was made in 1992.

5. Muppets: Treasure Island

To be truthful, this is honestly the only Muppets movie I have seen, but it is such a great comedy. The songs are all great, and the jokes are the kind that get funnier when you hear them as an adult 10/10 recommend if you have never seen this movie. If you watch anything from this list, make it this one I promise you won't regret it.

6. Bushwacked

A criminal somehow ends up impersonating a cub scout leader on a weekend camping trip. Another movie I feel like no one else has ever seen?

7. Sister Act

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Whoopie Goldberg, as a Vegas show girl, goes into a witness protection program as a nun to get away from her mobster ex boyfriend. So many catchy songs.

8. Country Bears

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Disney really outdid themselves here folks. A bear is a member of a human family, has a hard time understanding why he's different from them. Follows the famous Country Beaars to undersdtand who he really is ( a country-singing bear). His name is Beary.

9. The Borrowers 

Tiny humans that borrow everyday items from normal size humans to survive. Also John Goodman is the bad guy, so that's a plus.