The Unlikely Benevolent Nonconformist And An Exploration Of Character

How the "Villain" may actually be the "Hero".

189
4HD Wallpapers

Character can be a difficult aspect to pin down when first meeting someone. Rather than simply labeling upon first impression, one must uncover the true character of an individual, much like peeling the endless sea of petals off of a beautiful rose. True character is delicate, personal and often ambiguous. So how does one judge the character of another? In attempting to find this answer for myself, I continuously returned to one specific, literary grouch...

Taking the world and all of its inhabitants at face value can be a dangerous practice in regard to analyzing society for potential heroes and villains. The Grinch, for example, from "Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas" would, upon first glance, not appear to be the protagonist of any story, much less the story in which he is dubbed the antagonist within the very title. This unlikely hero, however, proves to be more than a mere town grouch as his true character is unleashed through the gentle coaxing both from the innocent Who girl, Cindy Lou Who and the conscience that awakes within the Grinch himself.

The Grinch’s altruistic characteristics have yet to emerge at the exposition of "Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas". In fact, the scene is set in a manner that suggests the putrid green beast would manifest throughout the story as the epitome of evil antagonists: A villain with a nagging desire to eliminate Christmas. As the story progresses, however, and the evil deeds are done - every present, stocking and tree hidden away in the Grinch’s imposter Kris Kringle sack - the Grinch begins to question if his choices are, in fact, the correct route to take. He is faced with the face of innocence, Cindy Lou Who, as he sits atop the frigid mountaintop listening to the Who village openly persevere by singing despite their loss of gifts and decorations. It is at this moment that the Grinch’s true character emerges, showing that he does, in fact, care deeply about the wellbeing of the Whos. The audience finds that he is not simply malevolent and rancorous, but compassionate, hospitable, and warm through the observation of the Grinch’s choice to return the tangibles of Christmas to the village, a decision well made in my eyes.

The concept of human character can be a dynamic and deceptive aspect of humanity to attempt to reflect upon. A person’s character does not always reach out and slap one in the face - a person’s characteristics are not always obvious. Character is not simply the actions and services that one performs for observation, but what one chooses to engage in when alone. For example, one music student may be deemed more talented than another, but his counterpart may have better character traits that will carry him farther in life and his career, such as the determination to grow by rehearsing for a multitude of hours outside of classes. I have always been hard-working, humble and determined in my work, both academic and artistic. Instead of seeing a bump in the road as a handicap to a project, I always attempt to find obscure ways to bypass the obstacle or pave a new path for myself or my team. Nothing is set in stone on this Earth if one has the tenacity to overcome those who doubt success. I never believe myself to be perfect. In fact, I prefer to walk into situations thinking myself a novice in order to learn without the crippling notion that I am better than those around me and to study the ways and motivations of others, a lifestyle I highly recommend to those who wish to actively live life rather than passively experience it.

So what does all of this mean?

If there's one truth in this world that I have learned in my eighteen years it's that nothing in life is straight-forward. Humans are fluid creatures who continually refuse to be accurately labeled. So next time you meet someone new, think of the Grinch and how much his heart grew despite the inevitable title he was given. Don't judge a book by it's cover, put yourself in their shoes, find their motivations, always work harder and always remember, Christmas will prevail no matter what