University Of South Carolina Homecoming Traditions

5 Homecoming Traditions At The University Of South Carolina Everybody Can Enjoy

Sweet home Carolina and celebrating the Gamecocks, what could be better?

269

Homecoming is a week full of fun events that lead up to the football game that Saturday. It's a week that displays our Carolina spirit and gets students excited for the game. This year, homecoming is the week of October 22nd to October 27th. The theme this year is sweet home Carolina; it encompasses the fact that all students come from different areas and cultures but together we all call the University of South Carolina home.

Whether it is your first homecoming or last, you're bound to find one or multiple fun events to get involved with during homecoming.

Here are five USC homecoming traditions you'll definitely want to participate in this week!

1. Spurs And Struts

This dance competition usually takes place on Greene Street, but this year it will take place on Blatt Fields. Spurs and Struts has been a longstanding tradition that allows groups on campus to show off their dance skills. Each group choreographs a dance and is judged based on spirit, creativity, synchronization, technique, and difficulty.

2. Cocky's Canned Creations

This activity will occur on October 25th from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Greene Street. You can compete with other groups of students by building structures with canned goods and construction paper from 9 a.m. until noon. If you don't want to participate, you can always go see the finished products and to see which structures won at 2 p.m. The structures are judged based off of creativity, stability of the structure, total usage of cans/food collected, and visual appeal. If you do not want to participate yourself, make sure to go see what creations students can manage to make out of canned goods!

3. Homecoming Floats

The parade of homecoming floats is a tradition that a lot of students look forward to each year. This year, the floats will be set up on Davis Field and Greene Street from noon-4pm on October 26th. Judges will decide who has the best float and that float will have the honor of being presented at halftime of the game on Saturday.

4. Cockstock

This is an annual free concert put on by student organizations and will take place on October 26th at 7 pm. In years past, Rae Sremmurd and 21 Savage have put on a show. This year Daya will perform along with a special guest, Iyaz. Make sure to bring your USC ID.

5. Homecoming Tailgate And Announcing Of Winners

The tailgate is in Gamecock park and will start at 4:30 pm. It will involve music, food, and fun for everyone, you just have to preregister. The Carolina band, cheerleaders and Cocky will also be there to help you get hype for the game. The homecoming winners will be announced at halftime of the Tennessee game, October 27th. It will involve recognizing the homecoming court as well as awarding the homecoming cup to the Greek Life winners of homecoming.

These are just a few of the events that will go on throughout this fun-filled week. Make sure to check out USC's social media and emails so you can be in the know on all of the activities that are going on.