heartfelt, emotional songs everyone should hear

8 Underrated, Heartfelt Songs Everyone Needs To Hear

Everyone needs songs that can change their lives just like these have changed mine.

352

Music has always been known for its incredible way of calming the soul, and it goes without saying that there are more songs out there than someone could listen to in their lifetime. We simply don't have enough time. BUT, throughout the 18 years I have heard and continued to love music, I have discovered a few songs that have stuck with me because of their profoundness, compelling lyricism and overall beauty:

1. "Before You Start Your Day" by Twenty One Pilots

Best lyric: "Know you were made holy. Open up your eyes and see the clouds above will hold you; the clouds above will sing."

Of course, I had to include my favorite song by my favorite band of all time. This song mixes a beautiful piano riff with potent lyrics about how you should utilize the powerful effects of music to defeat anything you're going through.

2. "Anziety" by Logic

Best lyric: "We will rejoice in this day that we have been given. We will accept our anxiety and strive for the betterment of ourselves starting with mental health. We will accept ourselves as we are."

Through an enthralling introduction given by Lucy Rose, captivating rapping and powerful spoken word, "Anziety" portrays what Logic thinks anxiety feels like. He describes his own experience with it and masterfully gives hope to those that have felt the same way.

3. "Jesus Christ" by Brand New

Best lyric: "Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die. I'm a little bit scared of what comes after. Do I get the gold chariot? Do I float through the ceiling?"

A cogitative song that features one of the most soothing guitar riffs my ears have ever been exposed to, it centers on love and what happens after death. Jesse Lacey, the singer of Brand New, asks all throughout the song the same questions most of us are scared to face yet desperately want to know the answer to.

4. "How Could You Leave Us" by NF

Best lyric: "You gave everything you had plus your life to them pill bottles. Don't know if you hear me or not, but if you're still watching… why?"

This song was the hardest to choose the best lyric from because all of them are SO GOOD. NF, the stage name for Nathan Feuerstein, discusses his mom's addiction to pills and, ultimately, her death from it in this intense rap track. It's extremely emotional and will undoubtedly make you feel something.

5. "Simple and Sweet" by Jon Bellion

Best lyric: "You don't need to wear your makeup, oh, no, no. No need to mess with God's design; you're just so simple and sweet."

This track is exceptional from start to finish. With a mollifying synth loop, amazing voice effects, and a powerful outro, Bellion says in his "The Making of Simple & Sweet" video that he created this song to resemble trying to pursue an attractive woman. The track is supposed to feel alluring – and it certainly does.

6. "Yes I'm Changing" by Tame Impala

Best lyric: "There is a world out there and it's calling my name; and it's calling yours, girl. It's calling yours, too."

Led by a groovy bass line and trippy synth, lead singer Kevin Parker takes listeners on a lyrical journey to explain the ever-changing sequences of life. Parker stated in an interview with NME that he doesn't even remember writing this song, but that doesn't take away the overall beauty and stimulation it provides.

7. "Deathbed" by Relient K

Best lyric: "And I've given up hope on the days I have left, but I cling to the hope of my life in the next."

In a song that surpasses 11 minutes, frontman Matthew Thiessen featuring Switchfoot singer Jon Foreman narrate the story of man who lived a lamentable life and is ultimately saved by Jesus. The song is powerful, uplifting, and definitely deserves more attention.

8. "Tiny Glowing Screens, Part 2" by Watsky

Best lyric: "Because there are seven billion, 47 million people on the planet and I have the audacity to think I matter. I know it's a lie but I prefer it to the alternative."

In this stupefying rap, George Watsky targets the ever-growing worlds of consumerism and media, and different contexts of the entire universe. Watsky's lyrical ability shines brightly through this masterpiece; the best thing you can do it listen and appreciate it.

There are many other songs that have affected me greatly, but these especially have helped me grow into the person I am today. I hope my list has inspired you to create your own and ultimately discover just how positively music can impact lives.