12 Struggles And Experiences I've Had Being Under 5 Feet Tall

Vertically challenged

1023
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/53/ed/9d/53ed9d014e8aec9ec7ae258423eebf5a.jpg

Although this is a funny subject, being under 5 feet tall is a daily issue. I’ve leaned a lot about being short and been through a lot. So here are some things I’ve learned and also some thing I've been through while being vertically challenged.

1. I can never put on a pair of jeans that actually don't scrunch up at the bottom

Every pair of jeans I own do not fit me in length. It is next to impossible to find jeans that actually fit. And to make it even harder, I’m an athlete so i have big thighs and a big behind. This adds to the problem of finding jeans that fit me in every way possible. I could find jeans the fit my waist but they’d be ridiculously long. I might find a pair that are a decent length and they don't have my size or a number of other problems with me finding jeans that fit that’ll never be solved.

2. Reaching for things that are high up

At home, I have struggled many times to reach cups and plates that are high up. I’ve come to the point in my life where getting a chair and standing on it to reach the higher up objects is no longer an option due to the fact of pure laziness. Now I just ask my brother, who is MUCH taller than me to get it for me. For college I even made sure I got a step stool so I can reach the top of my closet. You could say I’ve become a pro at climbing things.

3. People who lean on you and use you as an arm rest

Why? Go find something else to rest your arm on, like an actual arm rest on a chair!

4. Being called cute because of how short you are

This is probably the first reaction people have when they realize how short I actually am. I don’t know why but people seem to find it adorable. I guess the connection between small things, for example, puppies, and small me, is just the reasons why people think its so cute. This isn't really a problem, I’m actually okay with, so please, keep calling me cute!

5. Always being in the front for group pictures

One thing I’ve defiantly learned about being short is to never assume you'll be in the back row of big group pictures. My split reaction has always been to go straight to the front. If you were to look at every class photo or team photo I would be right there, in the front.

6. The nicknames I've been given that relate to my hight

Yes I’ve been called it all. Munckin, midget, little one, nugget, shorty, short stack, even Oompa Loompa, like the people from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. You name it, I’ve heard it.

7. “How tall are you?”

The first thing that comes out of peoples mouths when they stand next to me. I am 4’ 11”.

8. When other people say they are short

No, no you're not. You don't know the first thing about being short.

9. Fitting into kids sizes

Being so small does sometimes have its perks. I have really small feet. I can fit into a kid size 3. I personally see that as a luxury because my shoes are much cheaper than many others and thats very helpful because I love shoes.

10. When people blame coffee for being the reason why I’m so short

It’s not the reason why I’m short. I know very tall people who drink just as much coffee as I do. I’m short because my family is short, besides my brother. But it’s not the coffee so stop.

11. Never touching the floor

Being short also brings the challenge of sitting in chairs. I don't think I've ever sat in a chair that I'm actually able to touch the floor.

12. Driving

Driving is also another challenge. Every time I go to drive I have to pull up the seats so I can touch the peddles then I have to jack the seat up in order to see over the steering wheel. But whenever I drive people, they fight over who gets to sit behind me because they'll have the most leg room out of anyone else in the car.

All in all, being short isn't the worst thing in the world. It does have it pros and cons but I’ve learn to love my size and embrace it. It’s part of who I am and I never want that to change.