Transferring To UCLA Was Harder Than I Expected It To Be

Transferring To My Dream University Was Harder Than I Expected It To Be

Attending the #1 public university in the nation is not all fun and games.

390

Since I was a senior in high school, my goal was always to attend UCLA but back during high school, I did not have the best of grades to get in a freshman admit. I knew I was gonna attend community college so I could see if college was going to be truly the best option for me. After my first semester at my community college, I was jazzed to see where it would take me as I fell in love with school. This drive is what pushed me to work hard so I could get into my dream school. Through constant doubt and fear, I got into every university I had applied to, including UC Berkeley and UCLA.

When I got into UCLA, I cried and was in major disbelief that I had gotten in but felt absolutely blessed to have done so. I was so excited to start this new journey after working three years for it. I was impatiently and annoyingly counting down the days for the day I would move into my dorm.

Once I moved into my dorm, I felt more at home than in my actual home.

During the first week of being there and prior classes starting, I met wonderful people in my dorm building and floor that made me not feel homesick and made me even more excited for the next two years at this institution.

Once classes began, things suddenly became intense and gave me a reality check. Since I began school, everything was taught in a much slower pace than at UCLA. I had to become accustomed to the quarter system used by UCLA and most of the schools in the UC system when all my life I have been in semesters.

Adjusting was not as bad as I thought it would be but it was not the easiest thing I have had to do. This adjustment period also brought extreme stress that made my immune system weaken and I got sick for over a month. It also made me miss the easier coursework from my community college that helped prepare me for the rigorous load I have to endure at UCLA.

It is very common for transfer students to have a rocky first quarter and I thought I was going to be an exception but nope, I am another example to confirm that it is indeed hard.

Although it has been tough first, I am thankful every day that I go to this beautiful and wonderful school. It has changed my life in both good and bad aspects if I am being completely honest but I would not want it any other way.

Sometimes I joke about attending a different university that doesn't have the notoriety that UCLA has but even if I chose a different school, I would still stress about school being tough and would still have to adjust to another institution.

As my first quarter is coming to an end, I want to reflect in all the experiences I have had even if they weren't the best because they have taught me some great lessons so I avoid making the same mistakes. I worked hard to get to where I am and even through this rough time, I will keep my head up with every all-nighter I pull.

Go, Bruins!