Two Years Down, Two To GO

To Sophomore College Students Halfway Done With College

Once finals end and summer starts, you're officially a junior.

44

Sophomore year is coming to a closure, and it feels extremely weird. Or am I the only one who feels this way?

Only two years ago I had officially been admitted into the college I am currently attending. It was only a year ago where my freshman year of college was ending. That year felt extremely slow, especially the first semester. Now sophomore year is almost over and not only am I feeling nostalgic, but also terrified.

Two years ago we were thinking about what major we wanted to do. Now, in two years we're going to be searching for a job that we'll be doing for the rest of our lives. Two years sure makes a huge difference. Two years ago we were graduating high school, and two years later we're halfway done with college. Where did the time go?

Two years ago I had attended my senior prom, and two years later I'm holed up in my dorm violently studying for finals and writing half a dozen papers. It feels that those two years ago my biggest stressor was finding the perfect hairpiece to match my prom dress. Now my biggest stressor is juggling all the school work I have to finish before the semester ends and finding a job for the summer so it will go by faster.

So much has happened since decision day, and it's only been two years. I start to wonder how the next two years will go.

To those who are sophomores as well, it sure feels weird. I remember meeting all my friends, and all the people I've come to really care about. Two years feels so long ago, but it really isn't. We only get four years in college, we should be making the best of it.

Sure not all of us have experienced the perfect "college experience" but every moment has led us to this moment. This moment of ending our sophomore year with a bang. (And whatever that may be is up to you).

The last two years have brought a lot for you, me, and all other people around. You experienced friendships like no other, and love just the same. You've experienced heartbreak and other major disappointing events. You've had people shoot down at your major or maybe even lift it up. You've had people scream in joy for attending a party with you, or groan in sadness that you were staying in to do work.

All the experiences created a specific emotion in you that has kept you in the school that you are attending. You've pushed yourself to be better, and you've stood up to the people who thought they could push you down. These last two years you've learned something, and really dwell on what that is.

And no, I don't mean what you learned in the classroom.

I mean what you learned from the experiences that you had outside of it.

Scream it to the world what you learned in these last two years of college, and what you want to learn in the next two. You've only got two more years before it's graduation day. Live up to who you want to be when that day comes.

Enjoy the next two years of your college years, it sure has been a hell of a ride.