Twitter Users Respond To Creepy Men's Fitness Article

It's basically a guide to how to rape someone.

11
Distractify

I really hope the editors at Men's Fitness are reevaluating their priorities when it comes to their articles after publishing, and since deleting, an article written by self-proclaimed pick-up artist Nick Savoy titled "How to Turn a 'No' Into a 'Yes.'" If this doesn't already ring a bad bell for you, then let me explain. This article was written in a slideshow form with four different scenarios and how to turn a woman saying "no" into a "yes": 1) at the bar, 2) on a date, 3) in bed, and 4) in a relationship.

This article received immediate backlash from many Twitter users who pointed out that the basis of the article is to advise men to violate a woman's consent in these situations. That such an article would arise in a popular men's magazine without raising any red flags demonstrates that many people don't see this kind of manipulative and predatory behavior as problematic. This is a perfect example of the pervasiveness of rape culture and the lack of understanding about consent.

Beyond the "in bed" section, which was deleted, the "at the bar" section states that men should "plow ahead anyway" when a woman rejects him. I don't know about you, but if any guy called me a spoiled brat, it would definitely not change my mind about not wanting to get in bed with him. If anything, if would make me even more repulsed.

But analyzing whether or not these "techniques" would work is not the problem here. The writer failed to mention that a woman has every right to reject whomever she chooses and deserves to be left the hell alone if she wants to be.

He writes, "Let's say you are at a bar or club or somewhere where it's unreasonable for a woman to get upset if a man approaches her to make conversation." This assumes that there are places or situations where a woman is "unreasonable" for not wanting to talk to a stranger, completely removing her agency to make her own decisions. This line of thought is similar to believing that a woman is asking for it because of what she is wearing or because she drank too much alcohol, "as if these factors have the ability to signal decisions that have not been expressed by the woman herself."

Sexual harassment and assault are major problems pretty much everywhere and is fostered by the exact viewpoint that Savoy is perpetuating -- that "women don't know what they want, and that no really could be a yes in disguise."

Many Twitter users made some helpful edits to the piece.

In response to this backlash, the magazine deleted the section titled "in bed," before ultimately taking the article down. The publication has yet to apologize for the story.