12 Thoughts You Have When You're Late to Your 9 AM (Again)

It's a daily struggle to make it on time, but everyone has those days where they just...don't.
920

You tried your best to avoid it, but that one statistics class that you need to take in order to graduate was only offered at 9 AM. Sound familiar? Now it's a daily struggle to make it on time, but everyone has those days where they just...don't. If that sounds relatable, then you may have experienced some (or all) of these thoughts.

1. "Oh, crap..."

Whether you hit snooze a few too many times, slept straight through your alarm, or just completely forgot to set it last night, you definitely woke up later than you should have, and you can feel the panic begin to set in.

2. "Is it worth it?"

Going to class late always involves a cost-benefit analysis. Within a matter of seconds, your sleepy mind weighs the pros and cons of rushing to class late versus cutting your losses and going back to sleep. How late are you going to be? If you're missing more than half of the class, why bother? But fashionably late is excusable, right?

3. "Why is this room so cold?"

It definitely felt comfortable when you went to bed last night. But now, you could swear it's like the arctic tundra in here. It was hard enough to leave your warm, cozy bed without the threat of hypothermia when your feet hit the floor.

4. "Does this professor grade attendance?"

You realize that this is the third time this week that you've been late to your 9 AM. Will you get points taken off if you miss class today? Or is your professor the type that will count you as absent if you're not there the minute that class starts? The temptation to skip is getting stronger, but you will do anything to save your grade.

5. "Can I wear my pajamas to class?"

Picking out clothes, getting dressed...it all takes so much time, and every second counts when you're already running late.

6. "Do I have time to brush my teeth?"

The situation is dire, and you need to prioritize. Can you spare the time for a quick brush? Will you be talking to other humans in this class? If you're really in a rush, then gum will have to work until after class.

6. "Shoot, I didn't finish my homework..."

...you realize with a pang of dread. Is there time to finish? If it's reading, you promise yourself you'll skim it later. If it just needs to be printed, you hurriedly turn on the printer and pray it doesn't jam or run out of ink. If it's half-done (or less), you hope to goodness that the fact that you're there at all will make up for it.

7. "What's the weather supposed to be today?"

The climate here is so unpredictable! Do you need your winter coat? Your rain boots? Your umbrella? Or will it be sunny and warm enough to make you sweaty by lunchtime? Hopefully you have time to wait for your weather app's forecast to load; otherwise, you decide to wing it and hope for the best.

8. "Will the bus be on time?"

Odds are it won't be. Don't wait for it. Just don't.

9. "How can I enter the room in the least obtrusive way possible?"

You gently ease the door closed behind you so it doesn't make an earth-shattering slamming sound that alerts everyone to your tardiness. You decide to leave your coat on to avoid making a scene of unzipping it and taking it off.

10. "WHY didn't anyone leave a seat on the end in case someone came late?!"

Because why would any of these selfish jerks make the logical, polite choice to sit in the middle and leave space on the aisle for latecomers? Seriously, these people who show up on time should really learn some manners!

11. "Does this professor hate me now?"

They must think you don't care about this class. They must wonder why you don't prioritize their lectures enough to manage your time better in the mornings. Isn't learning more valuable than sleep? Repentant for your repeated failures, you silently berate yourself for disappointing them again, not realizing that they probably completely understand and don't give your occasional tardiness a second thought.

12. "I'll be early next class..."

You silently vow to be early to every lecture for the rest of the semester so you can sit in the front and demonstrate your dedication to your professor and prove you're not the lazy idiot you think they think you are (even if you did hit snooze ten times this morning).