Twelve Items to Knock Off Your College List This Holiday Season

Great items to have without breaking your own bank

17

December is approaching fast, which means family members and friends will begin asking what things that you want for Christmas this year. I had trouble thinking of things to tell people -- until I remembered all of the things I will need when I move to college next year. Christmas is a great time to start looking ahead and chopping away at that list of items you will need, big or small, so that it won't seem so overwhelming come August. All of these little expenses add up, so this will stop all these dorm room essentials from breaking the bank, on top of all of the other expenses that add up, from tuition to meal plans, to books.

1. Twin XL bedding

Ahh yes. You now have the pleasure of buying bedding that you will be able to use in no other part of your life except these few years of college. And honestly, you may not even have it all four years if you decide to share an off campus apartment with some friends as an upperclassmen. So, cherish it for those two years as that wonderful gift from grandma.

2. Coffeemaker

An invaluable appliance for those late nights of studying or those mornings before the dreaded 8am class: accessible whenever you may need it.

3. Laptop

You won't be at home anymore to use the desktop, so unless you want to do all your work at the library, a laptop will be essential for taking notes, researching the internet, writing papers and, of course, watching Netflix, all in the comfort of your own dorm.

4.Storage

Not the most exciting gift you'll find under the tree but definitely one you'll be glad to have later. Dorms are small, so you will need to maximize your usable space.

5. Shower caddy tote and shoes

Another gift no one will be envious of, but still very practical for the years ahead.

6. Towels

You aren't at home anymore so you will now have to buy your own linens.

7. Dorm decor

Something has to cover all of those white walls, whether it be posters, picture frames, lights or a mixture!

8. Microwave and Fridge

Check with your school's policies and your roommate, but Christmas can be a great time to get some of those dorm room appliances taken care of, for times when you're hungry but don't want to use a meal swipe or leave your room.

9. Vacuum

Yes, you will still have to clean in college. But now mom won't be there to remind you.

10. Printer

Very convenient to have in your dorm room, as you can imagine!

11. TV

Not a necessity, but convenient to have, especially if you are used to watching a lot of TV now.

12. Gift cards

Gift cards are a great idea for restaurants and stores in your surrounding college town so that you can change it up a little every once in a while. Use these to have a different meal or buy something you want without tapping into your own bank account!