The Best TV Shows In Every Category

The Best TV Shows In Every Category

For all your binge-watching needs!

369
The Best TV Shows In Every Category

If you are new to watching TV shows (probably rare) you may not know that there are dozens of categories in which all of our favorite TV shows fall under. These categories include supernatural, science-fiction, adventure, gore/thriller, romance, mystery, comedy, contemporary, superhero, and even reality. However, because of the abundance of categories it makes it so hard to decide what you are in the mood to watch. And then, when you've finally decided what you are in the mood for, you have even more trouble deciding what show in that category to watch. That is why I am here.

After extensive research and interviews with my fellow peers, I have created an accurate list of the best three/four shows in every category.

Now, fire up your Netflix!

Supernatural shows:

1. "Being Human" (U.S)

In this quirky and thrilling drama, the term "supernatural" becomes almost a natural and normal article of the world. Set in the great city of Boston, three roommates struggle to hold their mundane lives in tact, all the while battling their supernatural sides (vampire, werewolf, and ghost) in the shadows.

Filled with relatable characters (which are hard to find in this category) and charm, this TV show leaves you questioning how supernatural shows were ever thought to be cheesy. Overall, the show combines comedy and drama into a perfect TV sundae, with a cherry on top of more than enough supernatural elements. This is one supernatural show (whether or not you like the category) everyone one should try out. Currently all four seasons of the show can be found on Netflix, iTunes, and Amazon.

The other notable supernatural shows include:

2. "Hemlock Grove" (Netflix, iTunes, Amazon)

3. "From Dusk Till Dawn" (Netflix, iTunes, Amazon).

Both of the two other shows are more thrilling than BH, thus if being scared is your thing, I suggest checking them out.

Mystery/ Suspense Shows:

1. "How to Get Away With Murder"

Jammed packed with action, murder, sex, and millions of plot twists, no viewer is left sitting comfortably in their seat. Nope, they are left on the edge of their seat, screaming at their TV. Thus, if you are willing to be emotionally traumatized (in a good way) and left spending your spare time figuring out the shows mysteries, then this is the show for you. If you are a fan of court room drama as well, this is a good show to start. Beware, however, there is very little comedy in this show (beside snarky one liners and charismatic characters).

If you are doubting watching this show just remember that it is produced by the Miss Shonda Rhimes, stars Viola Davis, and is ultimately the most jaw-dropping, fist-clenching, verge of tears TV show. I recommend picking it up (all 2 seasons so far) on Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes.

Other suspenseful shows include:

2. "Quantico" (Amazon, iTunes)

3. "The Man in The High Castle" (Amazon)

Superhero/ Super powered Beings:

1. "Misfits"

Before this show becomes a dumbed down American version on Freeform, its best to check out the original first.

In this laugh out loud thrilling comedy, five naughty/ arrested community service workers acquire superpowers after being hit by a radioactive storm cloud. The TV show then follows the young adults' journey on navigating their blessed and sometimes cursed powers. In the end it is extremely hard not to be entertained or pissing your pants while watching this show. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good time or just something to watch in the background.

You can find this show on Hulu, iTunes, Amazon, and some on YouTube)

Other Dazzling Superhero/ Super powered shows include:

2. "Daredevil" (Netflix, iTunes)

3. "Once Upon A Time" (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes)

4. "Limitless" (Hulu, iTunes, Amazon) (I count this as super powers although it is really drugs)

Contemporary:

1. "Freaks and Geeks"

Have you ever felt as if you could not relate to any TV characters? Well stop looking because have I found the category and TV show for you!

Even if you were not a teenager in the time of the 1990's, any soul can enjoy the sweet realistic comedy of Freaks and Geeks. Told in the narrative of two siblings, one a freak (punk) and the other a geek, the show follows the social cliques of a regular old high school.

Jammed pack with famous stars, laugh out loud comedy, and of course realistic story lines and characters, you may find yourself apart of the show's long beloved cult fan base. For certain, you will find yourself laughing along and screaming "that is so me!" at the TV while you watch. This show is just a no brainer.

Plus, when you finish this one season show you can pick up with its equally great spin-off, "Undeclared" (in which takes place in college instead).

Other Contemporaries include:

2. "Girls" (HBO, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu)

3. "Mixology" (Netflix, iTunes)

4. "My Mad Fat Diary" (iTunes)

Adventure:

1. "Outlander"

Have you ever wanted to time-travel, go on a far off adventure, battle villains, and live like a king, then sit in front of your TV/computer comfortably and watch this/these shows.

"Outlander" follows the epic adventure of Claire Randall, a WWII nurse, who time travelers to 18th century Scotland. There, she experiences events of great adventure, love, war, and villains of extreme morbidity.

It is hard to exactly explain what makes "Outlander" such a great TV show and adventure story. It could be its amazing detail to history, its Ronald D. Moore writing, suspenseful plot lines, and earth-shattering romance (which include "Game of Thrones" style nudity, just for a heads up).

This show is most definitely not for the faint of heart, but it is still a show worth watching for those who are. You can find it on STARZ, Hulu, and iTunes.

Other stunning Adventure shows include:

2. "Marco Polo" (Netflix)

3. "Turn: Washington's Spies" (Netflix, iTunes)

4. "The Shannara Chronicles" (iTunes)

Gore/Thriller:

1. "The Walking Dead"

There is no way for any avid TV watcher to not have a gore-ish thriller on their DVR. If not, you should try your hand at one of these shows.

Branded as one of the most thrilling TV shows of this time (besides "Game of Thrones"), it was a no brainer to add this program to the list.

Following survivors of the zombie apocalypse, this show tackles issues more than just surviving in the wake of chaos. Complete with perfectly flawed characters, gore galore, thoughtful and emotion evoking plots and crazy villains, this show captures all TV show needs. However if you go on to watch this show, do not blame me for the lack of entertainment in season 2 alone. Overall however, the show will leave any gore fanatic or entertainment junky obsessed. You can check this show out on Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon.

Other thrillers include:

2. "Bates Motel" (Netflix, ITunes)

3. "American Horror Story" (Netflix, Amazon, ITunes, Hulu)

4. "Game of Thrones" (Amazon, Hulu, HBO, iTunes)

Science-Fiction:

1. "The Expanse"

"The Expanse" is as science-fiction as TV shows can get. The show follows the lives of characters in the far off in the future and takes place in multiple locations (such as the inhabited Asteroid Belt, Earth, and Mars). This show is a beautifully confusing masterpiece with all the required elements of good science fiction. Elements such as complicated and interesting exposition, slang, alien-ish fashion and looks, extreme action sequences, breathtaking cinematography, and well developed futuristic characters.

All fans of science fiction should instantly be obsessed, so why not you. You can catch up on season one at Hulu, Syfy.com, iTunes, and Amazon today.

Other Fantastic Sci-Fi shows:

2. "Ascension" (Netflix)

3. "The 100" (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, Amazon)

4. "Sense8" (Netflix)

Comedy:

1. "Raising Hope"

You may be asking, "Isn't this the same as the contemporary category?" and I say to you, no. No, it is not. The comedy category is exclusively for funny shows, whether they are fantastical or realistic.

Just like Freaks and Geeks, RaisingHope is a laugh out loud riot with realistic elements so close to home it is sometimes scary. Following the journey of young adult male who by accidentally got his ex pregnant and then leaves him to raise the baby alone with his family, this show captures human life to a "T". From the families hilarious plot lines to depressing heartbreak, the show leaves you feeling apart of the family yourself. Currently the show can be found on Netflix and iTunes.

Other Comedy riots:

2. "Brooklyn 99" (iTunes, Hulu, Amazon)

3. "New Girl" (Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, Amazon)

4. "Jane the Virgin" (Hulu, Netflix, iTunes)

5. "Parks and Rec." (Netflix, iTunes, Hulu)

NOW GET BINGEING!