Trying To Be Grateful For 2020

Trying To Be Grateful For 2020

May you live in interesting times...

16
Trying To Be Grateful For 2020
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/archaeologyandhistory/2020/06/2020-is-not-1968/amirhamja_nyprotest-6424.adapt.1900.1.jpg

It's difficult not to feel helpless.

When the world feels like every month there's another catastrophe, another stress inducer, another chaotic cycle of endless news coverage shoving opinions and false narratives down everyone's throats; how else are we supposed to feel?

We watched the world delve into a frenzy. We shut down for months. We watched Minneapolis burn. We watched our president blatantly target minority groups in the form of a rally. We are watching the numbers go up again.

And yet, amidst the catastrophe, a little part of me is grateful for this year.

I'm grateful because when the world stopped, we had to reevaluate our lives. We were forced to face what our daily habits were, and we were forced to try something new.

I'm grateful because many Americans woke up. They questioned the institutions this country was built upon, and considered that black people aren't lying when they say they are discriminated against.

I'm grateful because people are being more compassionate. They're seeking actual scientific research rather than statistics not stated or interpreted correctly in the media. They're looking to acknowledge their biases more than deny them.

I'm grateful to be a part of a generation which does not tolerate intolerance, and expects respect for people of all colors and creeds.

I'm grateful because it's an election year, and like many others I can finally vote.

I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be on the right side of history.

None of this would have been possible without 2020, and for that, maybe this year isn't actually terrible. Maybe it's just a necessary push in the right direction to finally get some far-neglected work done.