Coffee shop jobs

7 Truths About Working In A Coffee Shop, As Told By 'The Office'

You may burn your hand on a hot steaming wand, but that will always be better than Michael Scott grilling his foot on a George Foreman grill.

68

Working at a coffee shop, like all jobs, has its pros and cons. On one hand, it's a generally chill and friendly atmosphere, and when you work with someone who you get along with, it can be super fun. Then the 9 a.m. rush kicks off and you have ten drinks lined up and only one set of hands. Working at a coffee shop has so many ups and downs, there's always a new experience to be had working at a coffee shop and here are just a few told by the ever reliable and relatable employees of Dunder Mifflin.

1. There will be spills. Probably a lot. 

Just like Kevin's famous chili, things will be spilled, big or small. I know on my first ever solo opening shift, I spilled a whole container of grounds. Plus, opening the half and half container the wrong way always spells disaster. On top of that, there are the spills from the other side of the counter that always seem to take up the largest, most inconvenient area for everyone. It's not the end of the world though, just make sure you have the mop and broom handy at all times, and be glad you're not cleaning chili out of the carpet.

2. Coffee machines break down pretty frequently , and it sucks. 

Being at a coffee shop frequently, it generally feels like there's always at least one thing that's not working the way it's supposed to. Much like the infamous McDonald's ice cream machine, we always have one machine that's not doing what it's supposed to. A leaky espresso head, a nonfunctioning drip coffee, you name it, we've probably had to deal with it. Much like the famous new chairs or new copier debate, there's always something behind the counter that we want to be fixed just as much, if not more, than the customers do.

3. Regular customers will become some of your favorite people to see when you work. 

Nothing makes a shift better than seeing a regular who has a funny story or anecdote for you. Regulars are one of the best parts of working in an environment like a coffee shop, and they are always a genuine delight to talk to. They may not be the Jim to your Pam necessarily, but they always bring a little joy to your shift, especially if it has been a rough one.

4. If you get control of the music that's playing in store, it is a glorious feeling. 

I work at a coffee shop that, like many, lets its employees choose what plays in the store. There's nothing more satisfying than hearing your favorite music played over the speakers, and it's always awesome when coworkers or customers love the music just a much as you do. Even if you're not the one controlling the music, it's extremely rare to have a coworker play something even remotely bad, at least from my experience. So feel free to turn the coffee shop into Cafe Disco, espresso machine and all.

5. There will be some slight burns, but you'll get used to it. 

Working at a coffee shop means working with a lot of hot stuff, and that means that you might get burned a little. Maybe some hot coffee or water spills on your hand or you touch the wrong part of a steaming wand. Small burns are just part of the job, and you'll get used to the different temperatures as you work. Just don't clamp your foot into a grill!

6. Rush hour will be difficult, but you will survive! 

Rush hour is probably one of the most intense things you'll experience at a coffee shop on a day-to-day basis. One moment, it'll feel like you're only serving a customer every couple minutes and then next thing you know, there are ten people in line all waiting for their caffeine pick-me-up. It's not a pretty sight, and the best way I can describe it is living in the famous fire drill scene for a few minutes, but it dies down eventually, so don't pull a Michael and make a run for it.

7. Difficult or complex drink orders are a thing, but you'll be able to handle them in no time. 

There will be orders that feel like they're ten paragraphs long, and especially during busy shifts. At first, you might want to cry a little. However, after training and gaining experience making drinks during your shifts, you'll learn to handle both the stressful orders and the more relaxed ones with equal amounts of speed and precision. So just be patient, let yourself learn from these experiences, and you'll be glad not to have found a Michael to your Toby in one of your customers.

Working in a coffee shop is an experience all its own, not unlike the crazy situations we see transpire in "The Office". Like all jobs, looking at it positively is the best way to get through shifts, despite customers not always being the nicest or equipment not working the way it's supposed to. I'm lucky enough to work for a really great coffee shop, and it only adds to the positivity that I work with people who I genuinely get along with and enjoy spending my shifts with. Having fun at work is a key aspect to enjoying the good and the bad, something I think "The Office," really captures. So, if you ever get the opportunity to work at a coffee shop go for it! It's a great experience in terms of how applicable the skills are to future jobs and how much fun you'll have along the way.