In Mocking Christine Blasey Ford, Trump Mocks All Women And Survivors
popular

In One Day, President Trump Made Two Unacceptable Statements About Christine Blasey Ford — And All Women

On Tuesday night, Trump openly mocked Blasey Ford and her testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee at rally in Mississippi — in front of a cheering, jeering crowd.

2470
christine blasey ford testimony

On Tuesday morning, President Trump made a new public statement regarding the controversy of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's allegations against Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, saying "It's a very scary time for young men in America when you can be guilty of something you may not be guilty of. This is a very difficult time."

In the current political climate surrounding the Kavanaugh and Ford case, Trump should be given no room to bolster repeated appeals to white male privilege — something he and his own sons gain possible benefit from.

Later in the day, Trump brought to light an even scarier reality for women.

To come forward with an experience of sexual assault is an act that takes bravery, self-awareness and incredible grit.

Trump's statement about young men's fear devalues Ford's story and ultimately creates a deterrent to other women facing the difficult decision to come forward with stories of sexual harassment and assault.

The testimonies given to the Judiciary Committee last Thursday were not treated by Republicans as a true investigation, but as a job interview for Kavanaugh to advance into his position on the Supreme Court. Trump's handling of this entire issue has shown his insensitivity, lack of empathy and makes a further mockery of women like Blasey Ford who choose to tell their story.

For women of all ages, this bias is not new. It has been 27 years since Anita Hill testified for similar reasons — and was also not treated as a survivor of sexual assault, but as a political adversary.

When women do not speak up, they are seen as weak.

Yet, when women do speak up, they are seen as hysterical and over-exaggerating.

Fear of coming forward is derived from being disbelieved, receiving violent threats, and even possible consequences in the workplace. Trump's focus on male fear of false accusations only puts up more hurdles for women to overcome.

What we are seeing now is exactly what women feared when Trump was elected in 2016. The power of elitist white males in the White House and the ignorant nature of Trump himself has caused a divide in our nation. Trump, along with many other men lack empathy of experiences they have never had to experience. Many Republicans who believe Blasey Ford's accusation is a political attack have not considered the message that confirming Kavanaugh would send to women — and how it would effect the perception of our judicial system.

This situation has become less of an evaluation of a sexual assault case, but a classic fight between the Democratic and Republican parties. Conservative values shield Kavanaugh and his "great name" that he has worked so hard to defend. Yet this does not excuse his conduct nor how Republican senators have defended him.

Whether the allegations are true or not, Kavanaugh does not have the morality or sense of awareness to serve on the highest court in the land.

False allegations are a concern in some cases of sexual harassment and assault. However, if someone has the courage to speak on a subject that had been so detrimental to their very being, it is necessary to treat their feelings and experiences with respect and objectivity.

Senate Republicans say a decision will be made by Friday — after a week-long FBI investigation — as to whether Kavanaugh will be confirmed to the Supreme Court and whether he will face any charges.

As women, and as a country, we need to not only support Christine Blasey Ford but also debunk the toxicity of white male privilege that allows Trump's words and these actions to be so casually made — and support and empathize with the women whose voices are less likely to be heard.

You can help to improve the lives of those who were sexually assaulted by donating to RAINN.

Call 800.656.HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.