Trumping The American Melting Pot

Trumping The American Melting Pot

Donald Trump's immigration policies are unrealistic and unfit for the U.S.

95
Trumping The American Melting Pot
Erik Pendzich

There are numerous reasons why America is great, but Donald Trump running for president is not one of those reasons. Up until recently, Trump’s presidential platform was unclear; one aspect of Trump's campaign that is clear is though, is his position on immigration.

According to the Donald J. Trump's website, Trump seems to think the only way to solve the immigration crisis between Mexico and the United States is to make Mexico pay for a wall to be built on the U.S./Mexico border. If Mexico refuses to pay for the border control wall then Trump plans to enforce higher fees for border crossing cards and North American Free Trade Agreement visas, which Trump believes to be the main origin of visa overstays. According to FactCheck.org, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to fact checking confusing information for voters, there is no data that supports Trump's claim about border crossing cards and NAFTA visas. Although one can agree that immigration has become an ongoing issue, especially this year with 350,000 people migrating to Europe trying to escape extremist regimes in Syria, the way the United States handles this issue could influence other countries alike. With this in mind, reacting aggressively towards Mexico could turn out to be the wrong way of approaching immigration. Along with this, Trump's immigration plans are not realistic.

In addition to building a Mexican funded wall, Trump plans to deport the millions of illegal immigrants and stop the automatic citizenship that many children born in the US receive. Furthermore, cities refusing to comply with the federal law enforcement on the issue of catching and releasing undocumented peoples back to their home countries will be punished by defunding these sanctuary cities. His stance on immigration has risen more questions than answers, for instance how will the enforcement of these new immigration policies be carried out? What will be the expense of this enforcement? The answers to these questions remain unclear.

Trump has shown not only to the American people, but to the world, his lack of appropriate behavior and his lack of ability to come up with a realistic solution to a very real problem the United States is facing. From telling Pope Francis that ISIS wants him, to throwing out Univision anchor, Jorge Ramos, from an immigration related conference, it seems Trump is not fully capable of representing himself without provoking negative outcomes and he seems much less prepared to be the leader of the free world.