Here Are 3 Tips For Defusing An Argument When There Is Trouble In Paradise

If you and your S.O. are having problems, these are 3 things you can do.

61

During this pandemic, my boyfriend and I have been having arguments (as all couples do) since times are difficult for everyone. I wanted to take the time to write some advice for people who are going through some bumps in their relationship whether it has been a long relationship, or a short one. For the relationships that have just started, the best advice I can say is that if it doesn't work out it just means that you guys weren't meant to be and that's ok. This pandemic will be over and you will get another chance to meet someone else and start anew. But for now, just know that you are not alone when it comes to having a difficult time in your relationship. It will either make your relationship stronger or it will expose the weaknesses that you guys may be able to fix.

1. Have a sit down

File:Two-people-talking-logo.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

If you and your S.O are finding yourselves fighting or having disagreements, that is alright in a relationship. Don't try to suppress yourselves as individuals just to make the other person happy. However, we also have to try not always looking to fight with our S.O.s. Yet, when fights arise, the first thing to do is to talk it out (depending on what the argument is about, its good to know both sides of the story and come to a compromise). Though, I would suggest the second tip on the list to do first right before you start talking to each other so you can come back with clearer minds.

2. Take time for yourself

Unsplash

As I mentioned in the first tip, taking time away from your S.O right after a fight (especially if it is a bad fight) will allow you both to come back with clearer minds and be able to negotiate. At the same time, try to treat yourself or do something to take your mind off of the fight for the time being so that you can process the situation/argument and maybe try and put yourself in your S.Os shoes to reason why the argument happened in the first place.

3. Try doing a task together or something fun to blow off steam

man, playing, guitar, front, girl, pictures of couples, villain ...

What I mean by this is, sometimes we have spats with our S.O and usually what I do with my boyfriend is I try to make the situation better whether that is playing a game, or just talking about something. You shouldn't use this tactic if its a serious fight (which I recommend using the first two tips). I recommend this if you guys get into a debate that turns sour. For instance, if it was the case of political opinions (which is always a heated topic) and each of you are slightly more offended than what you expected, try to start joking about how politics is kind of dumb or that you guys should duke it out in Congress to lessen the tension of the mood. :)