Why Traveling Is Important To Me

Why Traveling Is Important To Me

"I find myself indebted to the countries I've traveled to for a unique understanding of the world."

5
Why Traveling Is Important To Me
Priy Santikary

I consider myself truly blessed to have visited many places around the world and in the United States. Because of my exposure to different cultures, socioeconomic groups, religious practices, and people from overall unique walks of life, I find myself indebted to the countries I've traveled to for a unique understanding of the world.

As anyone who has been on a mission trip or cried in front of the Grand Canyon will tell you, moving out of your comfort zone and into a completely different society changes one's perspective on trivial matters and forces them to fully appreciate the privileges that are taken for granted by us all each day. Traveling and experiencing the lifestyles of dissimilar people is important for a whole list of reasons, but their collective theme is humankind's ability to be thankful for both nothing and everything.

America is often called a melting pot because of the way in which so many unique traditions blended to create a myriad of hybrid cultures. People on the west coast can spot a New Englander almost immediately because of our aggressive driving and odd accents and vice versa, because every part of this country has unique traits that define it. But almost everyone is an immigrant to this country, no matter how 'American' they claim to be.
Understanding the ways in which parents and many immigrants struggled to make a better life for their families is just plain hard. Commodities like education and clean water are basic rights to us, but in dozens of countries, citizens will consider themselves lucky to eat one meager meal a day. Hearing stories and actually seeing firsthand the way lives are lived in these is both terrifying and humbling. It's terrifying to think that if something had gone differently in the lives of your parents or their families, you could all be searching desperately for shelter from a downpour instead of watching Netflix until the storm passes. Being able to experience the lifestyles of people around the world is a way to take a step back and appreciate the everyday things that some take for granted, like our homes and families.

If I've learned anything from my experiences traveling, it's that the kindest people are those who give continuously even if they have little to offer. Mother Teresa once said, "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at the time and always start with the person nearest you." Even if I don't get the chance to volunteer abroad or travel much later in life, I've already been inspired to try my best to affect change in the ways I'm capable of. I can't think of a better purpose in life than helping people.