Travel Tips From A Pilot's Daughter

Travel Tips From A Pilot's Daughter

Master these tricks and you’ll find yourself walking out the door feeling well-prepared without much planning effort at all.

142
Travel Tips From A Pilot's Daughter

When it comes to planning a trip, it’s hard to find that balance between being spontaneous and sticking to an agenda. When visiting unfamiliar places it's important to live in the moment but still have a loose plan to fall back on.

Preparation

Build a loose itinerary that includes all of your must-sees, but leaves room for some last-minute decision making. Finding that happy medium can be a challenge, but practice makes perfect.

Find the cheapest reservations using price-comparison websites like Hipmunk and Skiplagged. When searching, use the private browsing feature so hotels and airlines don’t hike up their prices after they see you have been looking. When searching, use the private browsing feature so hotels and airlines don’t hike up their prices after they see you have been looking.

International travelers should exchange currency anywhere but the airport. That’s where you’ll find the highest fees. Having cash ahead of time is smart, so I recommend finding local currency services before you go. Frequent or long-term travelers should consider travel insurance.

Take a photocopy of your driver's license and passport (check the expiration dates). It’s a good idea to write the identification numbers down too. Call your bank and let them know how long you will be gone and where you will be going. That way none of your cards are shut off.

Pack outfits that fall into a similar color scheme. Towards the end of your trip, everything will still match. Always bring double socks, extra undies, and an extra charger. Separate outfits, sources of money and other items between bags in case one gets lost. Don’t bring clothes you have to iron. They take up space and rarely get worn. Make sure you have the comfiest pair of walking shoes you own. One final packing tip; if you can’t afford to lose it, financially or emotionally, don’t pack it.

Bring a water bottle for the plane. Not only will it save you from $4 bottles of airport water, but it reminds you to keep hydrated during travel. Snacks are a good idea too. Before leaving the house, double check your well-planned list for anything you may have overlooked.

Arrival

Wake up early every day of your trip. Even if you have jet lag. After a cup of coffee, you’ll thank yourself. I try to keep a notebook outlining the details of my trip. It can be as descriptive as you like, but just a few words to jog the memory makes a big difference looking back in a few years.

Pack lunches for day trips to save cash. Street food can be hit or miss, but the cost is worth the chance. I've also recently started using Groupon's city-specific pages to save when I go out to eat. I spent a week or so in New York recently visiting some family and used the Things To Do In Rochester page for most of my meals while I was there. You can save anywhere from 30 to 80 percent at reputable restaurants, I highly recommend.

There are also a few good coupon apps you can download to track local deals. Another food budgeting tip to keep in mind is to avoid eating near tourist attractions. If you like eating somewhere fancy, go to the nicest spots during lunch. Lunch menus tend to be cheaper than dinner.

Don't go overboard with your data usage. Just because you're away from home or school doesn't you can't find free Wifi. Minimize usage by downloading music before you leave, using the Google Maps offline tool, and checking for free. Another fun smartphone tool is Google’s translate camera.

Keep an eye out for fun things to do before your trip even starts whether they be events or famous landmarks. Remember to watch out for pickpockets, especially in big cities, and remember to slow down. Don’t pack too much into one trip, sometimes less is more.

Departure

When the time comes to go, don’t leave anything important behind. Establishing a check-out routine can be helpful. Bring a trash bag for dirty clothes as they accumulate. Put a few dryer sheets in the bag, and elsewhere in your suitcase, to keep things smelling fresh (helps remove static and lint too). Stop at a grocery store for snacks on the way home. Gas stations and airports rip you off.

Take ticket stubs, a coaster from your favorite bar, pamphlets, etc. for your journal. If you stayed with a friend, bring a small gift to show your appreciation. You’ll likely be invited back. Lastly, remember to be polite and smile. Both go a long way.