Transported to Another World

Transported to Another World

Books and movies always seem to take me to another world, and I can't imagine turning to anything else when I am stressed.

123
Transported to Another World

From a young age, I was an avid TV and movie watcher. I loved sitting with my family around the television an watching Disney Channel with my sisters. Every weeknight my grandparents would watch Indian tv shows full of drama and plot twists, and I would watch as much as I could. I always adored the movies and cherished every trip to the movie theatre. As I got older I would beg my parents to sit down with me for a movie or two, or sometimes even three. When Netflix was introduced, I was in movie and TV heaven; so many options and shows and movies! As I grew older I would watch movies and TV shows on my own, never limiting myself to any one genre. For me, TV was never just something I watched when I was bored or feeling lazy; I would look forward to it and would hold it to a level of importance in my life.

Reading books was also one of my favorite pastimes and still is. My sister and I would go to the library every week, browsing different sections. As I grew older I moved from the kids section to the teen section to the young adult section. Reading a good book makes me happy in a way I can probably never accurately describe. In high school, anytime I found a good book or book series I would binge it and read until there was nothing left to read. I would even find myself neglecting schoolwork to read. My favorite genre is young adult/ teen fiction but I will read anything if it's good including fantasy, mystery, post-apocalyptic, romance, horror, and occasionally nonfiction.

I think my obsession with reading and watching television and movies comes from the fact that these activities transport me to another world. While I am reading I become another character in a life similar or different from my own, which I find so intriguing. During the movie or television show, I become engrossed in a story, and I often feel like I am apart of it. Reading and watching TV have become two of my biggest de-stressors; in high school, I would find peace and calmness from these two things and they would help me relax. Although I find myself watching less TV and reading less leisurely in college, I still try to make time for these things because they have become so important to me.