Translating the Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline

For future Marvel movie marathons to come
29

With Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 on its way some of you may have been thinking about having a proper movie Marvel Movie Marathon. However, did you know there is an actual order/timeline to these films? Although they may have been released out of order there is an actual method to watching the films and I am here to tell you the order they fall in.

Captain America: The First Avenger

Although it was the last to be released before the first Avengers, the place it holds in the timeline is in the films title itself.

Steve Rogers, a rejected military soldier transforms into Captain America after taking a dose of a "Super-Soldier serum". But being Captain America comes at a price as he attempts to take down a war monger and a terrorist organization.

Iron Man

After being held captive in an Afghan cave, billionaire engineer Tony Stark creates a unique weaponized suit of armor to fight evil.

Iron Man 2

With the world now aware of his identity as Iron Man, Tony Stark must contend with both his declining health and a vengeful mad man with ties to his father's legacy.

The Incredible Hulk

Bruce Banner, a scientist on the run from the U.S. Government, must find a cure for the monster he emerges whenever he loses his temper. However, Banner then must fight a soldier who unleashes himself as a threat stronger than he.

Thor

The powerful but arrogant god Thor is cast out of Asgard to live amongst humans in Midgard (Earth), where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

The Avengers

Earth's mightiest heroes must come together and learn to fight as a team if they are to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity.

Guardians of the Galaxy

This one doesn't really have a specific time on where it takes place in the MCU but if you want a break from The Avengers this should definitely be your next watch in your marathon.

A group of intergalactic criminals are forced to work together to stop a fanatical warrior from taking control of the universe.

Thor: The Dark World

When Dr. Jane Foster gets cursed with a powerful entity known as the Aether, Thor is heralded of the cosmic event known as the Convergence and the genocidal Dark Elves.

Iron Man 3

When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with a fellow Avenger and S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner try to jump-start a dormant peacekeeping program called Ultron, things go horribly wrong and it's up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans.

Ant-Man

Armed with a super-suit with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, cat burglar Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

Captain America: Civil War

Political interference in the Avengers' activities causes a rift between former allies Captain America and Iron Man.

Doctor Strange

While on a journey of physical and spiritual healing, a brilliant neurosurgeon is drawn into the world of the mystic arts.

*Plot descriptions sourced from IMDB.com