4 Ways To Transition From A Post-School Mind To Summer Vacation

How to keep your school track of mind separate from enjoying your summer break

67
Flickr

Psst. It's safe now.

School is done with for the semester and now summer begins.

No more sprinting out the door with a piece of toast in your mouth to catch the bus five minutes before class starts.

No more calculating the number of days you are allowed to miss class because sometimes you just can't deal with anything.

No more fits of tears and rage because your final is suddenly cumulative which is different than what was posted on the class syllabus.

You have made it to summer at last. I always find it easier to transition however with just a few simple steps as there are times when your habits for school still try to creep into your regular life.

1. Delete/ Shut off all your 5+ alarms for class

I know for me that I needed at least 2 alarms to make sure I would actually wake up and get ready for class. This was exacerbated by the inability to hit the off button rather than snooze and end up turning "Five more minutes..." into "Several hours later".

Also having no alarms means not waking up in a panic thinking you're going to be late for that one core class that actually takes attendance and counts towards a crucial part of your participation grade.

2. Hydration

I'm not sure how, but the last month and a half of school slowly becomes slippery slope where most of the liquids put into my body are usually contain high amounts of caffeine, whether it's from the various flavours of RedBull or the coffee that I repeatedly spend my paycheck on at the library's coffee shop.

Less money might've been spent if those aforementioned alarms were set to include brewing time at home, but the allure of another 10 minutes to sleep was too great. Now that school is out, please drink some water. Then keep drinking more water. And after that have some more water.

Rinse and repeat for the end of time. Remember kids: Hydration is the sensation sweeping the nation! (Unless you're in Flint, Michigan)

3. Take note of important dates

School is out! Now you are free to do as you please (just keep it legal, safe and consensual). If you're one of the people that signed up for summer classes, check the start and end dates for your classes and write them down.

Any special events like weddings or graduations and graduation parties should also be put down in your planner. It's never pleasant to get caught off guard, especially with the important matters.

4. Relax

Go to the beach. Head to Disneyland. Take a walk with some friends to Tad's( the amount of flavors that place has is out of this world!). It's your summer vacation, so soak up the sun and enjoy it! Not much else to it.