5 Big Differences Between A Private High School And A Public University

Say goodbye to knowing all of your classmates.

13
The Ohio State University

After spending the last four years of my life attending an all-girls Catholic school, I definitely underestimated the amount of changes I would have to get used while now attending a public university (not to mention The Ohio State University, one of the largest public universities).

If you've gone to a private school and are now attending a large university, or are a high schooler looking to attend a large university - you're in the right place! Below are the top 5 differences from attending a private high school to a public university.

1. Your class of 84 is now a class of 8,000.

Say goodbye to knowing all of your classmates names and say hello to always wondering who's a first year.

(Also, make sure to bring medicine because everyone gets sick at the same time! Here at OSU, everyone was just infected with the "South Campus Plague")

2. The 30 Second Dash from your Locker to Your Classroom Doesn't Exist Anymore.

Forget a notebook back at your dorm? There is no going back (unless you RUN FOREST RUN!) Pretty much everything is a 15 minute walk, so you HAVE to plan your day out!

3. Teachers Don't Baby You

Remember how you could go up to a teacher after you forgot a homework assignment or neglected to study for a test and get points back? NOT ANYMORE. Professors at the university level are here to teach and then go get a coffee break, not hold your hand through the learning process.

4. There is the OTHER gender in your class

This has probably been one of the hardest things to get used to. You can be sitting in your Calculus class when randomly someone of the opposite gender sits down at the desk next to you and asks to borrow a pencil. It's only normal to do a double take, and then realize that your not in high school anymore.

5. You're On Your Own

As much as this hurts to say, there are no more "good morning" wake up calls from your mom, there are no more freshly packed lunches, there are no more quick trips to Walmart, and there are no more mom's doing your laundry.

As you walk to class, most people walk by themselves rather than in a large group. Everyone does their own thing, and it's wonderful! You plan your own times to eat, and your own choices of what you eat (beware of the Freshman 15, unless you're Ohio State which is rated one of the healthiest college campuses).

If you know of any other differences, let me know!

GO BUCKS!