A Train Of Thoughts

A Train Of Thoughts

When you're not sure what to write about.

8
A Train Of Thoughts
Wallpaper Cave

You look through your list of topics and find every idea scratched out or checked off. You look around the room and think Maybe I'll write about that book I read, or Maybe I'll write about that funny thing that happened, but then you realize that each of those ideas only generate about two sentences. So then you wonder what others are writing about and figure they've turned in their perfectly written articles a week early. And then you go downstairs to find your mom is watching "Friends," so you sit down and start watching with her. And then Monica makes cookies, and you realize you really want some cookies, so you make some. And then you continue to watch "Friends" with your mom.

And then you think about how Jennifer Aniston voiced Hogarth's mom in "The Iron Giant" and how she didn't sound like Jennifer Aniston. And then you think about how much you loved that movie and your mind drifts back to childhood and how simple life was back then.

And then you're back to "Friends." You wonder, if you had the choice, which of the guys you'd want to date. Joey is hilarious and masculine, Chandler is smart and sarcastic, Ross is responsible and goofy. Then you realize that you'd really kind of want a man that encompasses all three characters. But then you think about that Bo Burnham show your friend showed you that one time and how he sung about how women desire the perfect man and how the perfect man doesn't exist. And then of course you're somewhat offended because that's a stereotype and probably also sexism. But then your mind travels to that scary short film you watched after the Bo Burnham show and how you slept with the lights on for the next three nights.

And as you read what you've written so far, first you think Wow, I couldn't come up with anything better than this? This is rubbish, and then you think I'm not British. I wish I was British, and then you think Wow, I've referenced a lot of TV/Movies. I watch too much TV shows/Movies. But then you remember what Blake Snyder said in his book about how if you want to work in the movie industry you need to have seen a ton of movies, and you justify your actions. And then you question your entire future because you really don't know if you want to work in the movie industry. And then you look back at the TV and Phoebe says something that makes your mom crack up and you think Man, I want to write a show like this. Something funny and smart with characters that viewers fall in love with and laugh at and cry with. And then you wonder if the cookies are cool yet.