My Top 10 Horror Movies For Halloween

My Top 10 Horror Movies For Halloween

Ten movies to fill your time with fright this Halloween.

23
My Top 10 Horror Movies For Halloween
katepeters1326.blogspot

Personally, I watch horror movies all the time but I believe there is no better time to watch such films than around Halloween. Whether you’re watching to be scared, to have a dark-humored laugh, or to just have a good time, films from this list of my ten favorite horror movies would make great choices.

Below you will find ten of my favorite scary movies accompanied with a summary, a tidbit on why I enjoy them, and a rating out of 10 based on overall quality experience.

Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

A newlywed couple moves into a New York City apartment but soon find themselves in strange circumstances when they make friends with their elderly neighbors and Rosemary, the wife, begins to suspect her pregnancy is not what it ought to be. Without gore and excessive graphic imagery, this film is tastefully frightening and parallels greatly to the state of women’s health rights. 8/10

Fright Night (1985)

Teenage horror film fanatic, Charley Brewster’s life turns into disarray when an enigmatic neighbor moves in next door, whom Charley is convinced is a vampire. When nobody believes him, Charley takes it upon himself to put an end to the monster’s actions with the help of washed-up television vampire killer, Peter Vincent. “Fright Night” has both good comedy and good scares and is great for those looking for an appetizer to more intense content. 6/10

Psycho (1960)

In the Hitchcock classic which kickstarted an entire sub-genre of slasher films, Marion Crane, in fleeing the crossroads in her life, visits the fully-vacant Bates Motel in room No. 1 where she and others make horrifying revelations. Everyone should see this classic at least once, if not for a good scare then to marvel at the intricacies and masterful cinematography of Alfred Hitchcock. Would not recommend if you enjoy taking showers. 10/10

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

More of a comedy-musical than actual horror film, “Little Shop of Horrors” tells the story of a skid row flower shop turned upside down after a total eclipse spawns a human-eating plant that meek employee, Seymour, must continue to feed in hopes of impressing both his boss and problematic co-worker Audrey. Rick Moranis’ performance and the comedic atmosphere of the soundtrack make for a potential comedic-relief if you need a break for the other films on the list or if horror is not really your thing. 7/10

Halloween (1978)

John Carpenter’s horror classic focuses on escaped-sanitarium patient Michael Myers’ stalking and murdering of a babysitter and her friends on Halloween night, in his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois. Along with Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho”, “Halloween” is credited for being the catalyst of the long (and still present) line of slasher-films. If you wish to watch any of the other films in the franchise I would only suggest the immediate sequel and please, God, do not watch the Rob Zombie remake. “Halloween” is filled with subtly disturbing and suspenseful, contrasted with the rare jump-scare, so if you looking for a lasting experience, this may be your choice. 9/10

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

If you haven’t already seen “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” it’s about time you do. Filled with high-energy musical numbers, murder, scientific creation, adultery, and transvestites, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” follows newly-engaged Brad and Janet as they seek refuge at Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s castle on the night which he unveils his newborn creature, Rocky, among the presence of his groupies and fellow Transsexuals from Transylvania. This cult-classic cannot be unseen, and it shouldn’t be! Elaborate dances and rock songs give “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” definition and enjoyment beyond horror and the (sometimes convoluted) plot. Don’t dream it, be it. 9/10

Scream (1996)

The town of Woodsboro is shaken to its core when a masked serial killer lets loose on the town’s youth with trivia questions and brutal murders. “What’s your favorite scary movie?” is the infamous question asked by the Woodsboro killer in the Wes Craven film which reinvented the genre he helped create. “Scream” will make you do just that with performances from actors like Drew Barrymore, Neve Campbell, and David Arquette in a hauntingly plausible plot which spawned dozens of spoofs, sequels, and television adaptations up to present-day. 9/10

The Shining (1980)

When Jack Torrence takes on the job of winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in attempt to cure his writer's block, his son begins having disturbing psychic premonitions with the ghosts of the hotel. As the visions become more intense and the writing goes nowhere, the family falls apart as Jack uncovers the dark secrets of the Overlook Hotel and descends into a homicidal episode, terrorizing his wife and son. Another film which will make you anxious about everyday life (especially staying in hotels), Stephen King’s “The Shining” will haunt your dreams as the ghosts of the Overlook Hotel haunt its hallways. 10/10

It Follows (2014)

After a fling with a crush, Jay and her friends are devastated by a sexually transmitted death curse as it works its way through the group of teenagers. Despite being the most recent film on the list (and, notably, the only one from the 2000’s), “It Follows” has found critical success with its aesthetic qualities, unique yet universal conflict, and convincing acting. “It Follows” is suitable for a variety of audiences considering its effective restraint in delivering scares and the well-crafted cinematography. 10/10

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

An eclectic group of individuals seek refuge in an abandoned farmhouse from the dead as they reanimate and attack the living. In the wake of the crisis, the survivors attempt to work together but their numbers dwindle as the dead find their way inside and the living become their prey. George Romero’s low-budget cult-classic launched a frenzy of zombie films which are still popular today (note the television series “The Walking Dead”). Though not of technical or visual high-quality, “Night of the Living Dead” is terrifying in the way Romero conjures up the believable horror of the reanimated dead. 9/10

Hopefully this list can be of assistance to you in choosing how to spend your time this Halloween.

Happy scaring!