5 Movies That Are A Perfect Intro To Filmmaking

The world of filmmaking is a confusing place. So, here are five movies that are a helpful guide as you navigate through.

53

I've always been interested in movies. I grew up watching movies and trying to learn as much as I could about how they were made. I eventually brought this love of movies with me to college, receiving a degree in documentary filmmaking. But I felt as though I had missed out on all the classic movies my classmates had seen. It was hard to figure out where to start, and what to watch first. After spending the last few years as a student filmmaker, I have finally created a list of five movies that I believe are the perfect way to start an obsession with film.

1. Back to the Future (1985 - 1990)

Back to the Future

The "Back to the Future" series has always been one of my favorites. It's a ridiculous adventure through time that spans over 100 years. Part of why it's so endearing is how ridiculous and over-the-top it is. It never takes itself too seriously and allows the audience to have a great time watching it. It's just a fun movie that's a blast to watch. This is part of what movies need to be. Fun. You need to walk away from a movie feeling like you had the time of your life. And this series is the perfect way to achieve that feeling.

2. Memento (2000)

Memento

An intro film class I took my freshman is what made me want to become a filmmaker. We watched a lot of different movies, but "Memento" was the first one to make me think, "Woah, this is cool." It gave me my first glimpse into what movies could be. Created by master filmmaker Christopher Nolan and his brother, Jonathan, the movie is a masterclass in editing. It's put together in a way that the beginning of the film is actually the end of the story. It switches between two different narratives, one that starts at the end of the story and one that starts at the beginning, that slowly come together at the end. It's a confusing film, for sure, but it has an incredibly rewarding pay off at the end.

3. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Inside Llewyn Davis

How do you make nothing interesting? To answer that question, look no further than "Inside Llewyn Davis." It is yet another masterpiece by the Coen Brothers that follows struggling folk musician Llewyn Davis as he navigates 1960s New York City. Not much really happens in the movie. There's no big event that makes Llewyn go on a big adventure to save folk music. He's simply a musician who's trying to survive in New York, playing the music he loves while crashing on his friends' couches. Yet it is one of the most compelling movies I've ever seen. It speaks to human nature and perseverance. It makes the audience sympathize with a man who is struggling to just get by. It strips everything down to what it truly means to be a human being.

4. The Atticus Institute (2015)

The Atticus Institute

"The Atticus Institute" is by no means a great movie. If I'm being honest, it's really just average. But in its faults lies an intriguing concept that deserves a closer look. It's a film that's a cross between found footage horror movie and mockumentary. Filmed as though it's a documentary, it follows a man named Dr. Henry West. He is a researcher who runs an institute with the purpose of scientifically proving supernatural phenomena. "The Atticus Institute" does have its flaws. The acting is just average and in some ways, it does feel like just another generic horror movie. But where it shines is its creative take on the found footage sub-genre. It moves away from the trope of, "Look what we found in the woods somewhere," and does its best to create the belief that this was a real event that someone is researching for a film. It's an interesting twist on a tired genre of film that deserves more love than it gets.

5. Chef's Table (2015 - Present)

Chef's Table

Okay, so I might have broken the rules with this one as it's a series instead of a movie. But the pure awesomeness that is "Chef's Table" is worth a mention. It's a documentary series on Netflix about food, with each episode focusing on a different world renowned chef. Each person featured in the show comes from a different walk of life and hailing form all corners of the world, including Peru, New York, Italy, Indonesia, and Thailand. It's an incredibly interesting look at a cultural aspect that everyone shares, yet can be completely different depending on where someone is from. Everyone needs to eat, but the culture norms surrounding food, and even the food itself, changes from country to country. It's a great way to experience other cultures through a common theme.

And there it is. Four movies and one show that are an absolutely perfect introduction to the wild ride of filmmaking, especially during a quarantine. Now it's time to make some popcorn, put your feet up, and start binging.